One keyboard, mouse, monitor but two CPUs?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The_YongGrand, Nov 9, 2005.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Yes - I have a computer and another spare CPU beside me. Unfortunately, everytime I want to switch the CPU, I have to pull the keyboard, mouse and the monitor cable to the another one and use it. It's so troublesome. Don't they have a switch for all that so I can do computer servicing easier? :D

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm using one here. :D

But I wish they have cheap DVI + USB KVMs...

4. The_YongGrand

Will these KVM switchs work in DOS mode?

Because I'm too lazy to rip out these keyboard, mouse and monitor cables and move it to the next CPU 'cause I'm using the another one for my DOS games... :D

5. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Some KVM has problems in DOS mode, i've experienced some where the keyboard will make like 50 strokes of a key when u only hit it once

6. The_YongGrand

I thought they put some sort of a switch for you to press it to change the comp?

Now, what's the best and the budget-friendly KVM switch one in this place eh? :D

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There's really nothing complicated about KVM switches. All of them are very easy to use. There are a number of things you might wanna look at.

1. Max Screen Resolution support
    2. Number of PCs supported
    3. Able to switch PC using the keyboard stroke
    4. Able to support multi-button mice like Logitech MX series, Intellimouse etc..

I'm currently using Trendnet I think, works well, but some of the mouse functions do not work properly after switching PCs.

8. Phut

Phut Newbie

Or you could get a really cheap KVM switch, which acctually physically switches connections of the devices from one comp to the other.

I have one, and i'd be darned if it didn't work in DOS mode. Or any operating system for that matter.