Budget 939...

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by The_YongGrand, Nov 20, 2005.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Is there a budget level Socket 939 system? All of the 939s are beyond my affordability level. Can't seem to think about one.

But there's the Asus board which has an AGP slot cost aroun RM300. That's the cheapest and the nearest I could think of.

Again, I'm using 939 for my family PC only. A budget one, the simplest one will do. Give your recommendations. :D

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Er...why does it have to be S939 then? S754 is much more affordable.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

They have 939 sempr0ns now too I think... :think:

4. The_YongGrand

Well, the newer ones are less power consuming I guess...

67 Watts for 939? Sounds cool. :D

And most Semprons S754 have only 256KB cache. I want at least a 512KB ones... :D

5. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

But isn't it for a family PC...... :lol:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

And if you want 512K cache, might as well get A64? :roll:

7. The_YongGrand

Well I just want a cooler processor. Only around 50 degrees in full load times like P4 series. That's all... :D

8. Phut

Phut Newbie

I wouldn't recommend it as a new computer but you could always get a S754 mobo and stick a Turion mobile processor onto it.

I'd only recommend it really as un upgrade if you happened to have purchased a S754 system with a sempron.

As an aside the Turions are said to overclock very well, even with the stock cooler. 1.6GHz -> 2.7GHz, and that's HTT limited by the motherboard!

9. The_YongGrand

Uh... I don't think they sell Turions in Malaysia, and these Turion-enabled boards as well... :D

10. Phut

Phut Newbie

OH that sucks :(

Nah, the current Turions are just S754 CPU's. They work in pretty much all S754 boards, unlike P-M's which require a special board or an adapter.

Good value if you're confident on overclocking.