Australian executed in Singapore

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by aKho, Dec 2, 2005.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

i'm not saying SG is right, but they sure are very firm with their laws. poor kid, if his intention was to clear his brother's debts.. it's kinda cruel to execute him for it. but then, he got himself in that situation.. very sad indeed. wished they at least let him do a proper goodbye with his family.

source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4487366.stm

Attached Files:

2. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

The whole of Australia (Well, not exactly the whole lot.) is actually protesting against the death penalty towards him (He just got executed this morning today.). But to me, the death penalty isn't barbaric. A lot of young Australians think that they can get away with it, till they arrive to their destination.

But I do think that it is right for them to give him the death penalty because of the involvement of drugs.

btw, in my opinion, what the Australians did this morning was just wrong, paying respects to someone who died isn't wrong. But paying respect to someone (A criminal.) who went through the death penalty? That's not right...... I mean, why?

3. terry99

terry99 Newbie

Hmmm? I'm sorry that he died and caused his family so much grief. Also drug runners cause grief to the families of addicts. Some people here in Australia have made some unfortunate statements about the judicial system in Singapore and I'm sorry if these statements have caused offence to Singapore citizens. All around, nobody has gained anything from what has happened to Van except that maybe, just maybe, a few more people will say NO! when they are offered the chance of making money out of this sad trade.

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well, that is the law at singapore like it or not. :( My disagreements was that they didnt let the mother hug the son. Now thats just not right.. At the very least let him have a hug...

5. yhng

yhng Newbie

I don't understand the big fuss over the matter. About 46% of Aussies were making a big thing over the punishment but he should have realized the consequences before he did it. I don't see them complaining when a non-citizen is executed. Either they're morally against capital punishment or they're not. This whole unfortunate incident is just hyped up by the media.

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

No.1 .. you are in a foreign country .. you must respect the law ..

No.2 .. Singapore doesnt like drugs .. you must know that

No.3 .. Its your own fault if you are involve with drug trafficking ..

No.4 .. its not barbaric ..

1 person likes this.
  7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah, the media will always cash in and hype it up. Bad news sell.... :?

8. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Well explained! :thumb:

9. yhng

yhng Newbie

Well ask the same 'opponents' of capital punishment if the Bali bombers should not be executed, I'm sure most if not all would shun away from the question. Both are serious crimes...but different views on the form of punishment. :hand:

Makes me wonder what the politicians are thinking. On one hand they're lobbying for a death penalty for the Bali bombers (by shooting) and on the other, saying the hanging of Van Nguyen is 'barbaric'. Hypocrites...

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, at least Singapore is strict about its laws and carry out the justice. I have to give them credit for that. But Malaysia... Hmm... I can't say the same. :think:

11. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

if i was his twin brother now, i'll be planning a suicide bombing... :(

12. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

And make the poor mother even more upset :doh:

13. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

If I'm not mistaken, Malaysia executed a foreigner for drug offences quite some years ago. So, I guess we're just as strict (if not, stricter) on drug enforcement laws.

14. zy

malaysia is strict.. but curropted as well :haha:

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

*cough* ISA *cough*

16. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Death for drugs... :shock: :nuts:

For murder, well ok... :|

17. zy

coz. . drugs .. you bring badness to more people ..

murder.. you kill maybe a small group of people ..

but with drugs .. it can spread more ..
    just imagine drugs are liek SARS or bird flu virus :whistle:

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah, its the law for Malaysia and Singapore... If u carry more than a specific amount then u will be executed.

19. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

people and kids are dying from drugs. many many lives were distroyed by them. I wish all countries would be as strict for drug trafficing - maybe then it would stop to be an issue.
    I hate drugs and those who sell it/make it. if all criminals would be treated likwise (according to their crime of course) - the world would be a better place.

1 person likes this.
  20. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

What's next?

Death for file swaping... :shock: :shifty: