Intel Centrino Overclocking Guide Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Cool!!! :thumb: :thumb:

2. Phut

Phut Newbie

Looking around the internet it appears that unfortunately for those thinking that there is hope for a softFSB for the ICS950810 there doesn't appear to be any.

Alternatively for the overly adventurous you can attempt to wiremod your ICS950810 to produce 133FSB. I'm not overly sure if it will be possible due to the fact that I haven't opened my laptop to see how things are linked.

In the case that the 855PM chipset is using the same clock as the CPU (which *should* be 100MHz, ICS950810 being capable of 100, 133, 166 and 200MHz) then there is light to increase the clock to 133MHz, allowing for you to use an effective 533MHz FSB. This would obviously also prolong the avaliable service life of your 855PM based laptop, being capable of 533FSB. However problems arise if the memory speed is dependent on this clock, because unless you modify the registers in the "device 0" you will end up with an effective 440 MHz RAM speed, if the RAM speed is dependent on the CG's CPU clock. the alternative is to have a 350MHz RAM by modifying the ram to run at a ratio that would normally mean that the RAM runs at 266.

Unfortunately this at the moment is all theoretical investigation.

3. hasselgreen

hasselgreen Newbie

I've a Dell Inspiron 8600 (1.6, 512MB, R9600PT, 80GB with A14 Bios). I've testet setfsbU14c_ThinkPad-X31 but I just got PLL-errors, tried under Windows 2003 & Windows XP SP2 - same failure. The only think I can think about should be the problem is the bios, it's a couple of 8600-owners who get it working - which bios do you going with?

Thanks!

Update: I've tested Clockgen, CPUFSB, a couple of setfsb-types and ofcourse setfsb for X31 - nothing work. The only sign I got is when I tested CPUFSB - the computer freezed. What the heck!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  4. Death Knight

Death Knight Newbie

Hi everyone. Because of this post ı have started oc! But ım pleased to start. You can see results in my signature... I have used clockgen ics 952618 and fsb 107mhz...
    The problem is when I set fsb 108 or over sounds became strange or not work at all.. Other wise ı can easily get 1800+ mhzs. Anyone know anything to solve this problem?

And, i cannot save the settings because could not find the save.ini file??? :wall:
    I hope people still watches this post... :pray:

5. hasselgreen

hasselgreen Newbie

The only thing I can think about is a externa usb-soundcard. The internal soundcard cant take the extra Mhz.

By the way, I get over 3500pts i 3Dmark03 and I've a Pentium M 1.6 and a Radeon 9600. More then you, strange.

6. Death Knight

Death Knight Newbie

I thought of that but usb sound card means extra cash :rolleyes:

Have u overclocked ur card or not? I use omega drivers.. Which driver do u use?

But the main reason is ur 9600 has 128 MB ram...An 1.25gb of extra ram...

Can u write down full system specification and exact 3d Mark 2003 score?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  7. hasselgreen

hasselgreen Newbie

Good day,

The 9700 mobility have also 128MB DDR. When I got over 3500pts I'd only 512MB ram. You can read all the spec here; Link to my comparelink at Futuremark.

Yes, usb-soundcard means extra cash. I've not succeded any cpu-overclocking with my Dell Inspiron 8600 but I've overclocked the 9600 (from 334/240 to 270/290).

Good luck!

8. Death Knight

Death Knight Newbie

9. hasselgreen

hasselgreen Newbie

Good day,

I never said much more then 3500 - only more then 3500pts. And no, my system has only 100fsb.

[​IMG]

Is 3Dmark03 when you using 1024*768 that memory-using? More then 64MB?

Whatever!

10. Death Knight

Death Knight Newbie

ın 3d mark 2003 it says u have 133 mhz fsb. Strange... Also my gpu memory seems as 128 and yours seems as 256.That is interesting as well...

11. hasselgreen

hasselgreen Newbie

Yes I know. I don't know why. Anyways, 3Dmark03 is wrong and my 9600 is only 128MB.

Anyone with a Dell Inspiron 8600 that could oc it with setfsb for IBM x31? Bio-version?

12. Adrian Wong

You need to create the save.ini file. Just create it as an ordinary text file and save it as save.ini or whatever you prefer.

13. Death Knight

Death Knight Newbie

Thanks for advice da boss. Bu ı he created a save ini file into the clockgen folder but it still does not works... :wall:

My save.ini includes these:
    [CG-ICS952618]
    FSB=107
    AGP=71

14. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Looks like you should save it as clockgen.ini in your current temporary folder, i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp

15. Death Knight

Death Knight Newbie

I have saed my ini into the temp folder but it still does not works... I will get crazy...:wall:

16. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Are you, by any chance, using a password to lock your login? :think:

17. Death Knight

Death Knight Newbie

No I do not use any passwords..I wonder ıf ı have to change the clockgen.ini My clockgen ini (which is in temp folder) includes these:

[ClockGen]
    PLL=01952618
    GSB=1
    MAINWINDOW=0 1 660 860 475 775
    SETUPWINDOW=1 0 1 154 489 424 724
    CLOCKSWINDOW=0 0 1 132 467 174 290
    SELECTIONWINDOW=0 0 1 163 498 290 525

Should I change these values?

18. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. You can remove them. Well, save that clockgen.ini elsewhere and try using a clean one.

19. Death Knight

Death Knight Newbie

I still could not find a way to autostart. I guess ı will wait for a new version of clockgen that can save the settings...

20. faceman

faceman Newbie

hi guys,

i actually had been testing my notebook with clockgen a while before you gave your news update that you successfully overclocked your laptop.

Just to let you know, im using an Asus W3N, and its based on the common i855 chipset. However its important to remeber when using Clockgen and these laptops or any chipset for that matter its not the chipset that it is obtaining these frequency's from, rather a small IC chip that stores these values. Let me remind you that you are using laptops and not desktop mainboards and therefore selecting a PLL value that is closely related to your chipset will not always produce the best results. from personal expereince whilst the i845 and i945 values do obtain some set of frequencies they are often incorrect such as in your review with the AGP and PCI clock not being set accordingly.

For me on my laptop mainboard using a SiS PLL value actually obtains the correct values, as does an AMD 64, and another Intel, its not particulary reading these settings from your chipset rather the extension IC chip that I was speaking as of before.

This is a 1.6ghz Dothan system with 333Mhz PC 2700 ram of Kingston, which by all means will defiantly overclock alot.

Also guys, my final word of advice. Do not use PLL values that are incorrect that modify your AGP and PCI frequencies, this will damage your system.
    -example mate running a 9700pro in a desktop for 2 years @ 71Mhz killed the card.