Whole computer slows down...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by skyecyrus, Dec 7, 2005.

1. skyecyrus

skyecyrus Newbie

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, my ASUS mobo died and I had changed it with a new Foxconn mobo. Then, I reformat my computer which has 2 harddisks, and reinstall everything just like when I'm having the old mobo.However, something wrong happens.

When I start my comp, it seems everything is fine; but when I start playing games (ex: Warcraft 3), the whole computer slows down after I played for like, 10 minutes. Even I closed the game, the whole comp still very slow. I mean, after I close the game, I try to watch some movie with my computer, then the whole movie lagging. However, when I restart my computer, the comp back to normal. Eveything running fast as usual; but when I play games again, it will make the whole comp lag again.

Another weird thing is, sometimes it WON'T make my computer lag. I tried playing games online for 4 hours and it didn't lag at all. But most of the time, my computer will lag after I started playing for 10~20 minutes. This will also happens even I left my computer idle, but it happens more often when I try to play games.

I really have no idea whats happening; I had tried defrag the harddisks/reformat the comp again, but the same problem still remains.

I will try to list out all my comp specs..
    P4 2.4Mhz
    Foxconn 661MX motherboard
    512MB DDR400 Kingston RAM (Before this, using 512MB DDR333 with my Asus mobo)
    64MB Geforce4 MX440
    2 harddisks (120GB & 80GB)
    Using Built-in soundcard (Before this, I'm using a separate soundcard with my Asus mobo)
    1 Liteon DVD-RW
    1 Liteon CD-RW

I'm sorry if my Engrish confuse you guys, I'm trying my best to describe my problem here...

2. Donutey

Donutey Newbie

did you make sure to install all the drivers for your mobo/videocard etc and download updates etc.?

kinda sounds like spyware or some other program running in the background, download AdAware and run it to see if this could be the problem, but it is odd that sometimes it doesn't lag/slowdown..

3. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

does it only happens when u play wc3 offline? or every other game offline? maybe need to update the new mobo bios.. :think:

4. skyecyrus

skyecyrus Newbie

Checked with ad-aware already and found little bit of tracking cookies. And I did download all the latest drivers (coz I lost the original driver CD.. so I made one myself from the internet) And I checked the mobo bios is already the latest (Jan 22th)...

Is this somekind of symptoms my processor is dying? I dun think its overheat problem.. as I didn't OC it and my room got both fan and air-conditioner as well...

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

check your Task Manager.. check if there is anything using a lot of resources.. :think: .
    do you have a temperature monitor ? :think: ..

possible you did not attach the heatsink properly ? :think:

6. TEB

TEB Newbie

If he didnt attach the heatsink properly, his rig itd be melted moments within turning it on. So thats not a deal. I would check the temperature though just incase to see if its just barely aligned wrong. Now were not talking about latest bios, we mean the motherboard drivers. For turning certain features on and off in windows gui.

Whos your motherboard manufacturer.

7. yhng

yhng Newbie

No, his rig wont melt if the heatsink's not situated properly. And he's using a Foxconn as in his first post.

Are you using any Daemon tools or emulators?

8. Phut

Phut Newbie

P4's will throttle the clockspeed when the internal temp sensor reaches too high of a clock. The rig will be saved but the performance will be severly degraded.

The 2.4MHz P4 may have something to do with it :p

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, exactly. After reading the whole post again, I'm suspecting CPU over heating.

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea.. severly degraded.. i've experience it when overclocking too high with stock heatsink :roll:

11. skyecyrus

skyecyrus Newbie

hmm, checked the task manager and it was normal; and even if I closed all the programs (including firewall/antivirus) the lag still here. It will only back to normal when I restart my comp...

I don't have a temp monitor; but I'm using PC Wizard (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,25444,00.asp) to see my CPU temp. Nothing much with my processor temp, but I noticed my motherboard temp jumping around 30~50 degrees...

I do have DAEMON tools.. but it was not mounting any images.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownload_motherboard2.cfm?pMotherboard=661MX
    Thats all the available drivers... which shud I download?

btw, I'm really newbie to computer when it comes to hardware; how to check my heatsink?

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Just check whether it's hot to touch. If it's not, then it's the heatsink.