Cannot open programs..

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kayFX, Jan 18, 2006.

1. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

here is the situation..
    any program that i click show this message:
    This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Option control panel.

do program need a program to be associated with it? but if i have a save file from that program let say ms word, i just double click it and it will open with ms word.. if i click the ms word icon or from the installation folder itself it will show the message above.. cannot go into safe mode.. it will hang after loading everything.. i cant even open the msconfig to check wth is going on.. is it possible that virus has cause this.. got all the latest update for the NAV and adaware but this programs also cannot open.. only can access administrative tools.. :wall:

1 person likes this.
  2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

windows most definitely is corrupted. try a fresh install. :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  3. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

so fast corrupt.. just do a fresh install a couple of week ago.. some more not in the mood to do it coz this week alone i have doing the same thing for five time.. any other way? :think:
    ps: five mean five comp. not five time @ single comp. :p

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

what wat the last thing you tried to install ? lol a game ?

1 person likes this.
  5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I would say do a chkdsk first. I have had Windows unable to boot, (BSOD on XP) and after a chkdsk, everything was fine again. If that doesn’t work, try a repair install.

6. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

If chkdsk doesn't work, try a "repair" instead of a clean install.
    That should be able to fix it with a minimum of fuzz.

Cheers
    Olle

7. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

this is an office computer.. (my mom office..) nothing other than basics computer program.. dont have win xp cd to do the repair thing and my home is far away.. (shah alam to pandan jaya :doh: ..) maybe da boss children has something to do with it.. whenever they come its mean problem.. my mom will call me every 5 minute to troubleshoot the computer.. maybe tomorrow i'll do the repairing.. :p

1 person likes this.
  8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my friend had the same problem .. but he manage to fix it .. something to do with the registry ...

9. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

any idea what is it?.. still not repair the computer yet.. if through registry can fix it, how?.. can ask your friend?..

10. luqman

luqman Newbie

ya i'd say say do chkdsk/f and set that! if this is a virus then my friend it changed the files setting for example if i just drag and copy from my cd to my desktop its gonna say track1.cd so i have to click properties and then instead of .cd i write .mp3 so its track1.mp3! so what am guessing is that it changed ur program from .exe to something else do u understand what am saying:eh: anyways chek for that or u can do system restore say...about five months ago:whistle:

11. luqman

luqman Newbie

and what ever u do don't mess with the regedit:shock:

12. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  13. luqman

luqman Newbie