Sata and IDE

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Majormaggot, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

ok so i have a WD 120 GB IDE hard drive and its getting low on space, i deleted all the stuff i don't need but still its just not enuff space for what i want to do (ie. gaming, music, movies, yadayada). so im looking at getting a new HD. I think that Sata 200 or 250 GB would be best since its faster and i won't lose transfer speed as opposed to having two IDE drives on the same channel. My question is, should i reformat and install widows on the new sata drive and use the IDE to mostly store music, games, and movie on, or just install the new drive as is and transfer my files on to it, and use the IDE for windows (not a huge fan on doing a reformat)

thanks for any help,

-Major

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

if it was me, i'll do with the SATA as my main HDD, the burst of speed will be a welcome change. yep, that means a reformat. the IDE can be used as my backup then...

what's 1 1/2 hour of labour compared to having a new SATA for your main dish... :oops:

3. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

imo it would be best to use SATA as your main hdd..

4. luqman

luqman Newbie

u can use the sata for main HDD but the other for digital so what u need to do is set the first one (sata) as master and the IDE as slave and what u need to do is clean and reformat the IDE so that when ever ur computer boots u won't have the option of mulitpartion and then just store data to ur IDE and others on the SATA:thumb: hope it was helpfull

5. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

FYI SATA doesn't have master or slave.. it has it own dedicated channel.. you must set it through BIOS that the SATA disk must boot first for it to be the main..

6. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I plan to do something like that later this year, with the differences that I'll
    - buy two SATA2 disks and run them in RAID, and
    - use my old HDD for backup only.

Cheers
    Olle

7. luqman

luqman Newbie

oh i see i forgot that it was SCSI:? my falut

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Er...SATA is not SCSI.

9. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

:haha: :haha: :haha: :thumb:

10. luqman

luqman Newbie

wired i heard of it using Raids so i thought it was SCSI! but really confusing:confused:

11. kayFX

kayFX Newbie

PATA also can do RAID nowadays..

12. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

Thanks for the replies. i know how install it and all that, i was just wondering which way would be better for performance wise, since i do a lot of gaming i guess that i should put windows and all my games on the SATA drive and have the rest on the IDE.

also i plan on installing fedora on the same computer (trying to learn how to use it so i can kiss windows goodbye) but i don't want to use the bootloader that comes with it since it takes quite a while to load up, is there another one out there thats better??

13. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

FYI the concept of RAID is independent of controller or disk type. RAIDs have been created with ATA, SATA, SCSI, FC and even a bunch of iPod Shuffles. Also, SCSI does not require devices to be assigned as masters/slaves - SCSI devices use ID numbers which range from 0-7 or 0-14 (depending on the age of the controller in use).

14. sas

sas Newbie

Formating SATA drive

Continuing this topic of SATA's and IDE. I am having problems with this issue. I have upgraded to a SATA 1 160G drive to replace an ageing 40G drive (IDE). My MB is DFI PT880 ALF (VIA Chipset) + Prescott 2.4 processor. However having difficulty installing windows on the new drive as it cannot copy the VIASRAID.SYS from the floppy disc. I can install windows by running the cd from the old drive. However when I remove the old HD, it refuses to boot. A message NTLDR file is missing. Updated the installation folders from internet but still the same thing. If I run both drive together and use windows on the new SATA drive it works perfectly. What am I doing wrong. Does it need a BIOS tweak. There's no SATA option. Is it replace by SCSI but I don't think that it is so.

Any advice, anyone?:(

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You need to use the SCSI option. Yeah, it's basically the switch for the SATA controller.

16. Guz

Guz Newbie

Hello. I'm having an ackward problem here and I wonder if any of you guys can help me out.
    I used to have Windows XP intalled on a 20Gb IDE, and had a 80Gb IDE and a 80Gb SATA for storage.
    Now I installed Windows XP 64bits on the SATA, and left the others intalled for storage purposes.

The problem is, Windows isn´t reconizing any of the IDE HDs.
    And it's not reconizing any of the CD-ROMs either, because they´re connected to the IDEs (that´s my guess for these not to be working).

The BIOS recognize the IDE drives in the boot list. And I can make a boot through the CD also...

I'm using:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    MSI Mobo (K8MM-ILSR)

What do I have to do to make Windows recognize the IDE drives?

Thanks in advance!

Note: Before this, I installed Windows XP 64 on the 20Gb IDE and it recognized all the drives...

17. fyire

fyire Newbie

well, it can get confusing to some people at times, since on some systems, stuff like SATA, or even USB drives gets picked up as somekinda virtual SCSI system (meaning that connectivity gets routed via the top level SCSI drivers on the OS). In fact, even for windows, the Alcohol 120% app's virtual CD drive is detected as being on a SCSI interface.

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You need to install the x64 drivers from the a floppy for nvata and nvraid. The normal floppies that came with your motherboard are 32bit drivers. I have the files for the floppy if you want.