Problem with Hardisk Space Missing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by alyy8128, Feb 1, 2006.

1. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Hi, i got a problem on my Windows setting (should be). My hardisk space get missing and turn into so called "compressed old files". It shows when i perform a disk clean up.:wall:

I need to perform a disk clean up after sometimes to recover my disc space. Some time i can free up to 1GB of empty space if i didn't clean up my space for a long period.

When i use my friend's computer to perform the sick clean up, i don even can find the option of "compressed old files". :nuts:

Please advice if anyone solved this type of problem before. Thanks.:faint:

My system is:
    NEC Versa E680 notebook
    Running on Centrino 1.4Ghz
    512 RAM
    40GB hardisk with 2 partitions (15GB on C: and 25 on E:)
    Windows XP home edition sp2 updated.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  2. luqman

luqman Newbie

not a big problem to worry about:mrgreen: have u updated ur system say like from 98se to windows xp home or pro??? than it has the "old system files" (windows xp) in there so thats why! but ur friend just got the computer and he didn't have to updated :thumb: so u can delete or keep it up to u but i'd recommand converting ur sys files to NT if u had 98 or older;)

3. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

In the cleanup program you get a list of possible actions and an estimate how much space it will free up.
    "Compress old files" is checked by default, and you just have to not implement that action. You can also view the properties of that action and edit how old the files need to be before compression.

Personally I use the compression option all the time, since it doesn't have any significant impact on performance.

Cheers
    Olle

4. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Thanks Olle P,

Yes, on that list of possible actions, the "compress old files" always shows it taken huge amount of spces.

Can i disable this function? The compression did "eat up" a lot of my free space. It shows that after 30 days the unused files will be compressed. I can't find the option to disable it, my firend's computer doesnt have this function at all.

For luqman,
    My laptop is preloaded with Windows XP with NTFS formated. I don't think i got an upgrade system files in it.

5. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

There seems to be some confusion here.

The amount of data size given in the cleaner isn't how much is used, but how much that will become available if that option is used. Compressing the little used files will free up disk space, not take more. The compression will have some minor negative effect on performance when those files are accessed later on though.

If you, for any strange reason, still decide not to compress the old files all you have to do is to uncheck the box in front of that option. (See attached picture.)
    Another option is to increase the time required for a file to become "old". You do this by marking the line with "compress old files" and then click the "options" button below. Now you get a new window with the number of days adjustable.

To free up even more space I always delete the old system restore files. You do this by clicking the "more options" tab and select to delete the old systen restore points. (See attached pic.)

(Ooops! Forgot the attachments. Will attach them in next post.)

Cheers
    Olle

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  6. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Attachments.

Hmm... Seems impossible to add attachments. ???

/Olle

7. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

U mean the cleanup windows?
    [​IMG]

I need to check the box in order to free more space

[​IMG]

This function only consume my disk space rather than save more space for me.

Is that any possible to disable the function?

8. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I should free up 600+ MB as per your screenshot, but it's a very good idea to also defragment the partition after "cleaning" to consolidate the free space.

I just had that strange experience with 3DMark06 that have one data file that's 1.22GB in size :shock:. I opted to compress it to save some space, but right after compression Explorer still indicated the same size. The file got heavily fragmented in the process, so I ran a defragmentation that consolidated lots of free space. Still Explorer indicates the same file size though... but more space available!

Cheers
    Olle

9. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

ok thanks.

So, the defragmentation will help gain up some disk space oso.

But, still cannot turn off the stupid auto compression function?

10. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I don't understand what you mean by "auto compression".

With NTFS it is possible to set parametres for a partition or folder to automatically compress all files that are placed in it, but that's not on by default and one effect would be that when running Diskcleaner the "compress old files" would gain absolutely nothing since all files allready are compressed.

Thus your screenshot prove that it's not in use for that partition.

Cheers
    Olle