Video Card Memory Heatsinks?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by buildcustompc, Feb 4, 2006.

1. buildcustompc

buildcustompc Newbie

I was looking online at some different coolers and heatsinks and noticed vga card memory heatsinks. Would it be good to have heatsinks on a vid cards memory? Or will it make no difference. Just a thought!

Will

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Honestly, I don't think RAM heatsinks matter anyware. But, I could be wrong.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

No, it does matter when it comes to overclocking :mrgreen: Esspecially for higher end cards.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It depends on your card, and whether you intend to overclock it or volt-mod it. :mrgreen:

But there are people who don't overclock but use them to make their cards look.. cooler. :mrgreen:

5. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

It also depends on the GPU heatsink. Many of these cover the RAM chips as well.

Cheers
    Olle

6. Magicky

Magicky Newbie

After replacing my eVGAs 6800GTs heatsink with Zalmans VF700 CU heatsink and vid RAM coolers I saw a drop from 52-54 C to 46-48 C idle, and running DOOM3 X 1 hour from 60-68 C to 54-60 C. The fact that these NVIDIA GPUs run hot enough to fry eggs has always seemed rather exssive to me, so ANY drop in operating temp is appreciated.

Zalmans {http://www.zalmanusa.com/} has great instalation instructions and shows quite clearly that RAM cooling has a positive effect on overall performance...
    Magicky

7. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

get those swiftech bga ramsink..the best of the best "looking" ramsink :mrgreen:

8. buildcustompc

buildcustompc Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm good for now but when I upgrade I'll definetly get ram heatsinks.

:D :D :D :thumb: