Is your firewall spying on you???

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Domster, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Domster

Domster Newbie

Souce: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29157

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

lucky i use sygate.. :whistle:

3. acedriver

acedriver Just Started

since sygate is gone, i'm planning to change firewall, anyone got any exp. with LooknStop?

4. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

sygate gone?!? :shock:

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah.. This is too much. If it's true, it's a total ban on Zone Alarm for me. :hand:

7. Jet

Jet Just Started

WTF..
    I'm using zone alarm.. :wall:
    Gotta change it soon...

8. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Use a linux box as your router :p

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm using router, without any firewall.

I was firewall-less for 1/2 year after facing a lot of problems with various firewalls, before I started using router.

10. fyire

fyire Newbie

or try using the DLINK DSL-500T. runs linux inside, using a MIPs CPU, and u can access the command prompt to do your own custom firewall rules as well (I personally find this to be a lot easier than trying to navigate through their web interface for the firewall.)

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

one router fixes everything :thumb:

im not running DOD systems or sensitive database. as long as my PC/network is a behind a NAT and I close every un-needed ports, Im pretty much safe from any window loopholes attack. running a software based firewall is just a waste of my pc resources, at least for me personally.

besides, one of the reason why xp users are having so much security problems (malicious app auto install..etc) is that they always login as administrator (or acc that has administrative right). 99% of us (home users) do. if u want to lower the risk, create a basic acc. if you want to install something, use Run As.

in linux (etc. ubuntu), gnome doesnt allow u to login as root on X. thats pretty strict and good.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  12. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

You can login using the command prompt in X wat...open up a terminal and type sudo -s

13. Domster

Domster Newbie

And here's what Zone Labs have to say.

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29254

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yeah i know. but my point isn't about the command prompt.
    i mean ubuntu thru the main gnome gui login.. nope, but on windows yes.

15. PlaySafe

PlaySafe Guest

hi, how do we add our own ruleset permanently because after every reboot, still the same old one la :?

16. buildcustompc

buildcustompc Newbie

WOW! No more ZoneALARM for me. I'm switching to my hardware firewall. Dummy me...:wall:

17. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Why would they care what there users look at? The only thing I could think of is that it tracks how software uses the internet, and what that software is. The reason, to make the firewall more automated. It can send back what software is allowed access to the internet, what ports it uses, and that's all. Now, if it looks at more, then there breaking there own system.

18. fyire

fyire Newbie

If I remember correctly, there's a file named something like config.xml somewhere in the /etc of the router when u telnet into it. Filewall rules should be in there if I'm not mistaken, as that's the file where any changes made via the web interface is saved to.

Try hunting down the XSD or DTD declaration of that .xml file, and you should be able to get an idea of how the XML syntax for declaring the firewall rules in config.xml is like. Alternatively you can add some firewall rules via the web interface, and see what kinda XML is generated for it.

Cant really help out much beyond that at the moment, 'cause the DLINK router that I had tried, I actually got it for my parents (who live a few hundred KM away) and havent really had the chance to go and fiddle with the thing in depth.

19. Domster

Domster Newbie

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29616

20. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

Wow that's nice to know. I've been using it for quite some time. Almost everyone I know uses it.