Windows XP not compatible with Acrobat Reader?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by lklatmy, Feb 24, 2006.

1. lklatmy

lklatmy Newbie

I need to download and read a lot of files and announcements in PDF,excel or words document in my work.I have been using my rig 1 at home connected via the internet using streamyx and have no problem in opening the downloaded files.

The problem lies with rig 2.

Recently,I connected my rig 2 to the company's LAN for the same purpose.Files of Excel or words downloaded pose no problem but PDF files cannot be opened. I use Firefox all the time and already have Arobat reader installed .Please give me some clue on what's wrong.:pray:

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I would try un-installing Adobe, and then re-downloading it through "gulp" Internet Explorer.

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmmm sounds like some file association problem. Try redownloading the latest acrobat reader and try again?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. What exactly happens when you double-click on a PDF file? :think:

What icon are your PDF files using?

5. lklatmy

lklatmy Newbie

The PDF file can't even be downloaded.When I click on the link to download a PDF file,Firefox almost instantly give the message "Done"on the bottom left ,the downloading dialog box does't appear at all.

As for the suggestion to reinstall Acobat reader,I can only try on Monday since the rig is in the office.

6. Adrian Wong

Have you tried right-clicking on the link and selecting Save As?

BTW, it could be a problem with the cached files in the Firefox Downloads manager. Try opening Downloads (Ctrl-J) in Firefox and then clicking the Clean Up button.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

have you checked with .pdf is not blocked in you company network ? :think:

8. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I had to get the PDF Download extension for FireFox to download them, try that.

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow, company blocking pdf documents? That's a first! The company I'm working with now are using pdf extensively, even the photocopier can output scanned document as pdf!

10. lklatmy

lklatmy Newbie

After reinstalling the Acobat Reader,v.5,albeit not the latest,I can now open pdf docs.Thanks everyone.:clap: :clap: :D

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Woot! Now, try updating it... LOL! J/k... :mrgreen:

One thing though, have you guys notice any difference between Acrobat Reader 5, 6 and 7? :think:

12. Adrian Wong

It's getting bigger... and SLOWER? :mrgreen: