How to set up a remote PC/VPN?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1031982, Feb 7, 2006.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I got someone that wants to access a server from home. The host PC is running XP PRO with SP2, and is behind a router. The router supports network setups as well as manual port forwarding. The client PC, (Only one client total) is running XP Home edition. I don't know if it has SP2 or not, but either way it will go through the internet.
    Now, All I need to do is allow access to one folder, and everything inside it. Very simple straight access to one PC except that it needs to be able to still share the folder with the clients in the office as well. I set it running a peer to peer network with basic full access to the one folder. So, what can I do for this? I have no idea how the remote PC will access the net. It could be Dial-up or high-speed, but the person wants full access to all the documents at work, and I set it up so they are all put in the one folder (So long as that's where people save them) Getting another program is an option.

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

No one can help? This would be my first time dealing with a VPN, and I would rather do it myself then have to turn the guy to another person.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sorry.. I really don't have any experience with VPN. :(

Wait.. I'll try pinging my brother about this.

4. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Hi,

I haven't done any VPN set up before (only remote desktop) but from what you are telling me, you do not have the necessary infrastructure to support VPN. To use VPN, you need to have a VPN Server. You cannot connect to another PC using VPN without bypassing a VPN Server.

I hope this helps.

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Rats, well. Is there anything else that I can do? As long as the person can access the documents in the My Documents folder (as if they were there) then it should work. It would need to be as easy as possible to use.

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, about how much would it cost to set this up? (Hardware wise)

7. fyire

fyire Newbie

If you really want to, you can go with the Linux solution I guess. Just find any old machine (even a Pentium 100 with 16mb ram will do), stick in 2 network cards and build yaself a router on that. Choice of either OpenVPN (SSL VPN), or PopTop (PPTP)

8. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, this would be for a job, and there is not enough room for another system as is. Thanks anyway, I'll let the person know it can't be done with the restrictions set on me.

9. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

The only hardware VPN I know of the cisco :faint: :faint: :faint:

10. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Yep you cant run VPN without a VPN server, might i suggest just starting up an FTP server?

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Unfortunately, that might be too difficult for the person to use. (To put it simply, I need it to be idiot proof. This person recently learned that E-Mail can be sent to many people at once, and they use AOL.)

12. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Then setting up VPN would have been even more complicating becos you will need to use the VPN client. In my opinion FTP would be the best option, all you need to do is setup the FTP server and then you can write a simple documentation on how to FTP into the server

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Yes, but a VPN client can be automated. If something doesn’t work, I get called. So, I just sent an E-Mail explaining the situation. Plus, I don’t think they want to go through the costs of getting one set up now. It was an idea, but because it won’t work out (easily) then it will most likely be dropped. Thanks for the info and help.

14. fyire

fyire Newbie

PPTP type of VPNs r likely the most idiot proof I guess. The client's already available by default on Windows. There's a wizard available to help u set it up too (although I would personally prefer to use some other types of VPN lar)

15. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

16. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Just keep Googling...who knows, you might find some possible programs to use :).

SSL-Explorer: A web-based VPN server. Still in beta, but looks very promising.

OpenVPN: Looks pretty interesting. Might be a little more involved to set up compared to SSL-Explorer though.

There should be a few more programs out there that you can make use of. An alternative is to get the client PC upgraded to XP Pro and just use Remote Desktop.

17. slash

slash Newbie

i used VPN before, when i was staying at NTU hostel. forgot wat program i used. lemme search

18. slash

slash Newbie

something wrong wif my firefox. clicking the edit button wont work.
    anyway, the program is tightvnc. http://www.tightvnc.com/
    hmm... i read your post again, and its not actually what i thought it was (was speed reading).
    u might wanna give hamachi a try, since u wanna share a folder.

19. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

TightVNC is not a VPN solution. It is a remote control solution and does not encrypt any of the client-server data unless you tunnel it yourself using something like stunnel.