ACS 6 or Zalman VF-700?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by JVM, Feb 27, 2006.

1. JVM

JVM Newbie

I would appreciate opinions here on which cooler to get for a 6600GT video card with quietness being important.

I like the idea behind Arctic Cooler's exhausting heat out of the case, but I don't know how it holds up with regard to noise.

The Zalman VF-700 should be able to cool my card using 5 volts, at least that's what I believe, but I don't know how that unit compares noisewise with the AC Silencer 6, which has a maximum rating of 1500 rpm.

The other question I have is how significant is cleaning these coolers?

I would appreciate your advice on this whole issue and guide me to making a proper decision.

Thanks!

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Is your 6600GT an AGP one or PCI-E? I believe the AGP ones are incompatible with the AC Silencer because of the AGP bridge chip.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Noise wise, VF700 at 5V should be alright.

4. JVM

JVM Newbie

PCI-E

5. JVM

JVM Newbie

Could you elaborate on why you suggest the Zalman over the Arctic Cooler Silencer 6?

6. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

actually 2 products are pretty quiet. :think: Humm but i will choose the zalman. why? cause ..it come with ramsink and easier to install compare to artic.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Well, I have not tested NV6 before, but judging from my upcoming review of..., NV6 should be good too. I have no particular reasons to choose either.

8. JVM

JVM Newbie

The main attraction I see with the ACS 6 is it exhausts heat outside the case, while the Zalman just re-circulates the hot air. However, I've read the ACS fan develops problems after a few months or so and was wondering what the experiences here would show.

As for quietness, I am open to hear what people have to say about these two units, ACS and Zalman VF-700, and what they suggest.

9. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

humm...are u overclocking your videocard ?

10. JVM

JVM Newbie

No, just running it at stock speed.

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

As long as you have decent case ventilation, the Zalman will work very well.
    I can't comment on the noise level because I have never run my VF700 at anything other than 12V and it's drowned out by my other fans. :shifty:

12. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

well.... if u just gonna use 5v on your cooler and never gonna overclock i will just get zalman. Well... if u thinking about overclock your vga ..get the arctic. arctic definately perform better then zalman in cooling.

13. JVM

JVM Newbie

I've read so many complaints about the Arctic fan getting noisier over time that I'm not sure it would be a good choice in any configuration. Aside from the fan getting noisier, they say cleaning is extremely difficult.

Do you, or have you, had experience with the Arctic Cooler Silencer?

14. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

yes i did own a acs 3 cooler .What u read is true, arctic is really difficult to clean compare to zalman. I need to take the whole thing out from the case to clean it. About the noises ...humm..i didnt experience that cause i am just using 5v and my cooler just over a year. COmpare to my buddy zalman , zalman is more silence in 5v. In 12v ... i cant see any difference. Beside that ...my buddy just need to open the case and blow some compress air on the zalman..and..is clean !

But if u are going for performance .. i will choose arctic they cool better.

15. JVM

JVM Newbie

I'm just going to use the 6600GT at stock speed and seems like the Zalman would be the best choice.

Thanks for your help :beer: