DO NOT BUY ACER. I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY ACER!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by peaz, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah! That REALLY sucks! :shock:

I can't believe they treat you so badly even in the UK. :snooty:

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

WOW! I didn't expect this in UK! Hmmm maybe you can return the notebook for a full refund and get another brand instead? Acer clearly do not deserve your money here.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

OMG! I share the shock with the others! That is just horrible.... :mad: I'm never gonna touch another ACER and I will make sure that no one I know does either... :mad:

4. thorres

thorres Newbie

You should expect this in the UK! Services here in general are awfull (I can tell stories about)

Anyway
    I bought a ACER Notebook in the US this week but I live in the UK. I received the notebook and it come defective (yes poor quality control).
    So I have the right of their international warranty, right?
    That mean to have my notobook repaired (a new one) for free.
    WRONG!
    There is NO international guarantee but ' traveller guarantee'
    (what is the difference?)
    here it is: I just have the right to repair for free if I am not living in the UK or not lived or will live here for less than 3 months.
    If (for exemple) I would take a plane to France i would have the right to repair my notebook for free but not here in the UK
    If you try to repair in different country from the one you bought your ACER you CAN NOT unless you are there as a TRAVELLER!
    odd?
    Yes!
    And yes people from ACER support in the UK are also are VERY RUDE
    I wouldnt buy ACER anymore and will be the first to recommend people to not buy from them.

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

thorres: Firstly, welcome to our humble forums :thumb:

Secondly, Wow... thanks for letting us know about this 'traveller's warranty' policy! Acer here claims that it's an International warranty, but i think i remember a fine print stating that it's a traveller's warranty. I think that's just retarded that you don't get a warranty man in UK just because you bought it in US. It's just stupid.

6. Adrian Wong

Damn.. I thought it was an International Warranty too. :doh: If it's just a Traveller's Warranty, then it isn't so great after all.

7. thorres

thorres Newbie

No we (ACER buyers) do not have international guarantee.

I've called to the US and asked them:
    - Why if I give the notebook for someone who doesnt live in the UK and just come here for a while? Do this person have the right to have the notebook repaired?
    . The woman aswered me (in a bad mood):
    -The warranty is not transferible
    me:
    - Yes but I can buy a notebook and give it as gift cant i? I mean...I can buy to myself and change my mind and decided to give it to someone: Is it ok? Acer gifts have the right of to be repaired?
    She become very upset and said:
    -Sir you said you would sell it...
    me:
    - no! I said I would GIVE (can I buy an Acer as a gift cant I?)
    She (as most any burocratic people) become VERY upset and said:
    -Sir You can not sell the warranty...
    I ended the discussion but that is what I have to do is
    Wait for someone or Find someone who is coming here as a tourist (I am not from here but just studing here so it is not difficult) and ask to this person to call to ACER and ask them to repair.

I am not going to pay (be ripped off in fact) them because they have a poor quality control.

8. Adrian Wong

Damn.. That's bad. :(

9. yorker

yorker Newbie

ACER?? their call centre is no good.... dell ppl are nicer :D

10. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

wow! seem like everyone having problem with acer and apparently i just bought a acer laptop last mth on a PC show here in s'pore. there were few free gift options, so i opted for the additional 2yrs local warranty (which they said it's valued at S$199! :silenced: ) , 1st yr is international warranty.

the laptop was tested on the spot and they showed us the spec tally with what it was stated. all other buyers' laptop were tested as well.

so far everything is working fine, the new Acer Signal Up antenna technology on the laptop has a better wifi reception. i can pick up 10 over networks at my home! some are unsecure network! :mrgreen:

the only "complain" is the battery is v weak, can only run 2hrs+, my friend told me it was a 6-cell batt, getting a 9-cell batt will last longer. another observation was, it get warm up pretty fast, so i bought a cheap laptop cooler. :wave: :wave:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  11. Adrian Wong

Well, I wouldn't quite say that Acer notebooks have problems. Or if their tech support is bad. It's just that they put ridiculous limitations on their warranty. :wall:

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:whistle: Acer Service support is POS ..

but their laptop is cheap :roll: ... you are paying for a sos quality laptop & not service support ..

13. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

well, for my case, i managed to get a new replacement unit after 3 weeks of purchased because of some cosmetic defect and warranty period issues. So i must say i'm quite happy with acer, although i had to work really hard to get that replacement.

I think you guys always need to try to talk to the one incharge, thier supervisor or manager, not those guys at customer support who cant make any serious decision. Thats why when ever you can, always ask for the one in charge. And its good practice to get their names, so that next time you call, you can ask for him/her. And if you call them by their name, they are usually more cooperative and helpful. And if that still doesnt work, use snail mail, and address to thier CEO or manager. And be sure to include the names above in your letter. :twisted:

14. slyeoh

slyeoh Newbie

Sad to hear about the warranty issues.

I don't know if this is related, but i had a travelmate 8006 once...it broke down within 2 hrs (mainboard bakar for no reason)...and they told me the warranty is non transferable....the technical support person wasn't helpful at all..bad mood day kwaaa... :roll:
    so i sent back to the person who i bought it from for a refund

Then i decided to buy another TM 8006..just to give it another shot..this time i had the warranty under my name cause it's refurbished and the serial number wasn't registered
    bleh...2 days later motherboard fried..coincidence.. :wall: :wall:
    This time with the warranty in my name, the person on the line was very helpful..setting up fedex...etc...got it back within a week...
    Within that week, i called back acer to ask about the status and this time i mentioned the customer support person's name...he then took my call and gave me an update..

When i asked if the travelers warranty could be used in Malaysia..he said should be no problem

hehe..when it came back, i quickly sold it off on ebay, although they gave me 30 days warranty on the motherboard.:naughty:

Not trying to add salt to the wound here, but just merely my experiance with acer....I had 2 bad units..just my bad luck.. :evil:

To you guyz who bought Acer..hope you guyz don't have to go through warranty stages like me..not nice..

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

this is sad. acer :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

16. Adrian Wong

You can get a refund??? :shock:

I'll bet you bought it in the US, right? There's no such thing as a refund in Malaysia. :mrgreen:

17. slyeoh

slyeoh Newbie

hehe...being in the US got its cons and pros...but for laptops and electronic stuff, easier to sell, refund..trade..lucky got eBay, but now alot of scams :wall: :wall:

18. kennexionz

kennexionz Newbie

I totally agree on the customer service part.... thier service is awful..... but thier machines are not THAT bad.... I have been using an Acer (Aspire 1691 WLMi) no complaintz about it.... great for gaming n working.

I am sure any thing you buy depends on ur luck. But what I heard that there are 2 assembly types... one from taiwan and one from japan... aparently the japan ones are more for the highend custom specs like the 8104.... My friend who bought this had lotsa prob with it.... mainly hadware....

Hopefully they'll improve thier customer services.

Cheers ppl!

P/s: I actually posted here b4 I bought this laptop ROFL...

19. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. So the Japanese-assembled models have more problems?? :think:

20. Conquest

Conquest Newbie

ya man.... customer service in acer sucks... i wrote 2 emails to highpoint (Acer service centre) and acer customer support. for past weeks, no response yet. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but so far no prob with acer ferrari 4000 series.... i hope :pray: