Am I going forward or backwards

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by noodle, Mar 6, 2006.

1. noodle

noodle Newbie

Hopefully someone can answer my question. I appologise if it seems stupid but i know very little about current AMD processors. All my PC knowledge relates to SLOT A AMD processors, it was a trusty Athlon 600 processor which i upgraded last year to an AMD Sempron 2600+ (socket A) on a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L mother board

Ok here goes my stupid question. I now have the option to obtain a ATHLON XP 2600+ or 2800+ processor, which i believe the board can handle. Is this a step forward or backwards?

Thanks for listening

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Oh man. You can't put a Sempron Socket A into a Slot A processor.

What I know is Slot A systems are invented by the engineers in AMD back in '99. After around '00, they started using Socket A and with 200 ~ 400MHz FSB, if I'm not mistaken. :D

3. noodle

noodle Newbie

Sorry i wasn't that clear.

At the moment i have a AMD Sempron 2600+ (socket A) on a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L mother board

Will it be a step backward or forward to install a athlon XP 2600+ or Athlon XP 2800+. Will these two processors perform better then the sempron i have at the moment.

Thanks for listening

4. I do believe it's a step forward even though the sempron is a newer processor.

All the reviews I've read show that it is faster than the sempron if it's the Barton core Athlon XP.

I had a rig that had a Barton core and it sure was faster than this one that I'm using temporarily.

But someone please do correct me if I'm wrong... :haha:

Hope this helps!! :mrgreen:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yes, but the difference is negligible.

6. noodle

noodle Newbie

Thanks

Ok so the difference is small. If i wanted to upgrade my processor which is better Socket A Semprom 3000+ or Athlon XP 3000+.

Or does Chai's post answer it as well

Thanks for listening

7. I think so... :wicked:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What kind of differences are you looking for anyway?

9. The_YongGrand

Sempron 3000+ in Socket A = (or equivalent) Athlon XP 2400+

Sempron 3000+ in Socket 754 is definately faster than Athlon XP 2800+ or 3000+ if I'm not mistaken.

Most of the Barton Cores for Athlon XP are not in sale anymore, and they are getting more expensive and rare. Even the Socket A Sempron are getting displaced by the Socket 754 versions. :)

10. noodle

noodle Newbie

At the moment i have two machines, one is an Athlon 1300 and the other is a Sempron 2600+ socket A

I need to increase their speed so that myself and my wife can play DDO. As such i can't afford to upgrade both of the machines, if i soley upgraded one i'd get it in the neck from the wife.

So i want to add new processors upto the board maxs on both machines and I've found a supplier of AMD XP processors. Now the machine holding a Athlon 1300 can only take upto a Athlon XP 2600+ fsb 266. Thats not a problem. My main question is the machine using the sempron. Now the board can take either a Socket A Sempron upto 3000+ FSB 333 or a Athlon XP 3000+ FSB 333. So now the question is which is the best choice because money is an issue. It's probably a false economy in the short run, but saving for two complete upgrades would probaly take ages and knowing my wife she'd say look we've got some savings lets buy a new sofa.

Sorry if my previous posts where unclear but i'm at work :shhh: and don't have the luxury to think about what i'm typing, always looking over my shoulder.

11. The_YongGrand

I see. :D

Hmm... is both of your motherboards expensive when you first purchased them? It's worth upgrading when the board is expensive and you might spend lotsa money on them.

If the boards are not expensive - you might as well buy a cheap socket 754 and a processor and reuse the other components - that'll really really save you lots of money in the long run. An Athlon XP processor is getting rare and is getting more expensive than that of the 939s. :think:

12. noodle

noodle Newbie

The Sempron is sitting on a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L and the athlon sits on a gigabyte GA-7ZXE. I have no idea if these boards were expensive. I bought the Foxconn in bundle for £120(board, processor, fan, heatsink and memeory) and have had the gigabyte for ages.

Now i have been able to locate a seller of athlon XP chips they retail there athlon XP 2600+ at £50 and the 2800+ at £60 the price seems ok about the same price as a Socket A Sempron 2800+ in the UK.