Newby's questions about moding a RADEON 9800 SE

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by noodle, Feb 25, 2006.

1. noodle

noodle Newbie

I was reading with interest the article about moding the radeon 9800 se and i was wondering if someone could answer a few questions i have as a result of the article.

Can the same mod be applied to a Radeon 9800 SE all in wonder.

Am i right to assume the increased heat levels produced by the mod compare to the heat levels of an off the shelf 9800 pro.

If my assumption is correct can i use any cooling device that would fit both a 9800 se and 9800 pro. such as the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer REV3.

Appologies if i've posted in the wrong place.

Thanks for listening

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yes you can mod it. Do you have a picture of the card?

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

try installing OMEGA drivers and try softmodding. no harm will be done to your system.

4. noodle

noodle Newbie

Sorry no picture available at the moment.

So when i mod it would the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer REV3 attached to the card, is this cooling device sufficient to prevent any unhealthy melt downs. I don't have the option to bolt a CPU heat sink and fan onto the card as this will block several slots which are currently occupied.

If the artic won't help any suggestions of a cooling device which would do the job.

Cheers guys

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The arctic will do just fine... :D I had that on my 9800SE too.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Good luck with the mod and have fun!!! :thumb:

Let us know how it goes! :beer:

7. noodle

noodle Newbie

Thanks for your help

I'll get dabbling and i'll report back

Once again thanks

8. goldfries

i modded mine on stock cooler, and mind you i'm from a hot country. :D so yeah, your arctic cooling vga silencer would work great.

9. noodle

noodle Newbie

Just a quick update to say i've not yet modded the catrd as i'm still waiting for the cooler to arrive in the post......

But during this time my mind has been working over time.

This may have been asked before so just in case i appologise for repeating.

I did some further digging into the 9800se and at http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/details.php?id=28 it suggested that the GPU on the card is R350/360

now my first question is is their any application available with will identify the GPU on my 9800se.

Now if it is identified as R360 is it possible to mod it to a Pro then mod it further to an XT:mrgreen:. I've scanned the article on modding to an XT, but wasn't to sure so, any ideas

Thanks for listening to my mad schemes

10. As our mod guide here in rojakpot explains, there is currently no software available that can detect what kind of core (i.e. R360 or R350) you might have. :thumb:

Though there are softwares or programs that can detect core frequencies (i.e. 412Mhz for the R360). A good example of this would be rivatuner.

Hope this also helps. :thumb:

11. Chai

And there's no BIOS available that I know of for your card.

12. noodle

noodle Newbie

thanks for the reply

Oh well if only the cooler had arrived i wouldn't be coming up with these mad ideas.

Hopefully the cooler has been delivered when i get home and i'll be able to dive into moding the card

13. goldfries

even if the cooler doesn't arrive yet - you could still try enabling the 4 additional pipes. :)

14. noodle

noodle Newbie

I'd love to enable to pipes, but i have this vision of fire and brimstone pouring out of my machine. But i've kept myself busy, i'm in the process of up grading two machines, you've probably read my thread in processors. Don't know much about processors, haven't really dabbled with them since the 486, but i digress.

I've kept myself busy with installing a new hard drive and eventually upgrading to XP. Been holding back as i kinda have a presonal rule to stay a couple editions behind of microsofts most recent OS. It's the suspicious test analyst (my current career) in me. I know to well the software is published based upon risk verse cost and microsoft has shown this with all the issues surrounding it's security patches.

Anyway back on track hopefully i'll have the card modded by the weekend. Fingers crossed

15. noodle

noodle Newbie

The cooler has arrived.

So with much excitement i dived into my tool box, armed with a hammer and a saw i removed the heat sink and fan........

Only joking

Actually with a pair of tweezers and a fine pair of needle pliers i removed the heat sink and fan

Added the cooler, wasn't as difficult as i thought

Add a generous splash of Omega Drivers

Hey presto I've got a 9800 se with all pipes active.

So what do i do next???

But seriously thanks for all the friendly help and advice

16. Chai

Play lots of games???

17. goldfries

why upgrade the cooler in the first place? try OVERCLOCKING!!!! :D

makes your games nicer. really.........

18. rugrat

rugrat Newbie

Noodle: Can you tell me exactly what ATI cooler you got and where you got it from ? I'm in exactly the same position with my Powercolor AIW Radeon 9800SE ! All the suppliers I've contacted so far reckon the TV tuner will obstruct their coolers and I can't seem to find an ATI Rev. 3 anywhere (ATI 2 Rev. 3?)
    Mind you, the TV tuner and capture doesn't work on my card but I feel if I can get the extra pipelines without trashing the card it will be worthwhile !

Be v. grateful if you can help here !