7900GTX 512, not performing to full potential help :)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by ginokid, Mar 17, 2006.

1. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

Hi

I just bought an eVga 7900GTX EGS 512mb cards clocked @ 650/1600mhz.
    I play BF2 on all high settings 1280x1024, X4AA and get an average of 50 FPS. Although it plays smooth & looks good other people are telling me my card should be getting better FPS & a few people told me that their FPS are pinned at 100 with the same card.
    The video card idle temps 32c, under load in the 50's(c) & all voltage is stable. 6 pin connector connected, 4 pin molex connected to MoBo.
    I had the same problem with my dual evga 7800GT OC SE cards in SLI, FPS in the 40's & 50's. Thats why I bought this new card. For all the cash I spend and have good parts I thought I would get better performance.

Thank you in advance,
    Gino

My PC spec's are at the bottom of the page.

Below are my BIO's setting.. do they look ok??????

ANY IDEA's???

K8<-->NB HT SPEED = 4X (choices: 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x)
    NB-->SB HT SPEED = 4X (choices: 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x)
    NB<--SB HT SPEED = 5X (choices: 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x)
    K8<-->NB HT WIDTH = 16/16 (choices: 8x/8x,16x/16x)
    NB<-->SB HT WIDTH = 16/16 (choices: 4x/4x,8x/8x,16x/16x)
    PCI express maximum payload size = 4096 (choices: 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096)

SSE/SSE2 instructions = enabled (choices: enabled, disabled)
    System cachable bios = enabled (choices: enabled, disabled)
    Dram Timing selectable = By speed (choices: by speed, auto, manual)
    MTRR mapping mode = continuous (choices: continuous, discrete)
    32bit dram memory hole = auto (choices: auto, disable)

===========
    AMD Dual Core 4800
    Abit AN8 32x SLI x16
    Zalman heatsink & fan
    4GB Corsair XMS DDR400
    1 eVga 7900GTX EGS 512MB
    2 Western Digital Raptors Raid 0
    Antec Solution Case "(2) 120mm & (1) 80mm fan's"
    Antec NeoHE 500w PSU
    NEC DVD/CD burner
    Floppy drive
    ============

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

3. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

I think you should just give up, give the 7900 to me, and go back to 7800 SLI.

4. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

Give you the GTX :nuts: nice try :snooty: , I just bought another GTX from Newegg, they are back in stock, now I'll run these big beasts in SLI.

Anyway.. I took 2 gigs out and my timings remained the same.. No where near the specs of the ram.. the timings are supposed to be Cas latency 2 - 2336. But my pc reads them as 3668 @ T2. And my PC only see's 3 gig's out of the 4gb.

The 7800GT OC SE's ran about the same as my 1 GTX.
    I RMA'ed the 2 7800gt oc's with newegg for brand new ones so I can sell them :thumb:

Anyway......
    Do my Bios settings look good?? is anything off??
    :think:

Do you think 2gb is better than having 4gb? :think:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You need to change the timings in the BIOS manually.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Did you try the hotfix I linked in my previous post?

7. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

I TRIED THE HOT FIX... I CAN'T SEE A DIFFERENCE AT ALL :wall:
    I ALSO DISABLED QUIET N COOL IN THE BIOS.:wall:
    :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

8. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

Could it be that my MoBo was just a high priced piece of CRAP? :cry:
    Abit AN8 32x SLI x16

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

how fast is ur processor running? stock speed?

For dual core user, there are 2 important things u must do (psykho's already posted the link). applying the MS hot fix is one thing, enabling it is another. you must insert PerfEnabledPackageIdle=1 manually. I've exported the key for you. Get it Here (right click save as) and execute it to insert the key.

if it still doesn't work, you can try to set the affinity manually. launch ur game, and then jump back to ur desktop (ctrl+esc). bring up task manager, right click on ur game (applications tab) and select go to process. this will bring you to the next tab. right click again on the highlighted process name and select "Set Affinity". uncheck CPU 1.

if the above fix still doesn't help, you can try to disable Forceware's dual core optimization. we are having too much dual core optimization around (driver & game engine). I will just leave it to the latter to handle the threading task (if it's capable of).
    Instruction is available on page 15 of Forceware release note.

1) Launch regedit and determine the current primary display card by looking in
    HKey_Local_Machine\Hardware\DeviceMap\Video and note the GUID (global unique identifier assigned by Windows), which is the long string in brackets { } at the end of the entry
    ʺ\device\video0ʺ.
    2) Look in
    HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{GUID}\0000 where {GUID} is the number derived from the previous step.
    3) Open the ʺ0000directory and create a new DWORD called OGL_ThreadControl and give it a value of 2.
    This will disable multithreading in the driver for all OpenGL applications.
    4) If you want to disable driver multithreading for all Direct3D applications–
    In the same ʺ0000directory, create a new DWORD called WTD_EXECMODEL and give it a value of 0.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
    2 people like this.
  10. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

Question....
    Would it be better if I had a regular AMD CPU like an FX57? Would I still have this problem?

I bought the dual core because I thought everything would be faster, I guess it's just a giant headache :doh:

Gunna give everything a try now a try now. I'll post back..

Thank you for all you help :beer:

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

4800+ is NOT a slow processor :thumb:
    and FX57 is definitely faster in gaming. But i dun really see the point of upgrading to the FX.

in short, the X2 is a much better chip. more like a complete package.

you should be able to oc ur X2 to 2.6ghz easily if u want to.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Or can swap with mine....:dance:

LOL!!!!:lol:

13. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

The hotfix worked! BF2 FPS are way better now.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!:beer:

I did overclock my CPU after I built it, CPU voltage 1.40, 217 got me 2.6ghz.

I tried to manually adjusted my 4gb's of ram to CL 2.5, RCD 3, RP 3, RAS 6 and the volatage to 1.70. NO LONG BEEPS.. booted fine.

But after about 1 hour after I timed the ram my game froze solid and I had to hit the restart button, that never happened before.
    I disabled quiet & cool.

Should I take out 2gb's of ram and use the same timings again? I prob. dont need 4 gigs anyway right?

My ram is supposed to be CL2 2-3-3-6 according to corsair.
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145575

14. JASHINHUNTER

JASHINHUNTER Newbie

Clean Install????

Have You Tried A clean Install????

Always Helps With Driver Problems From Previous Cards...

??

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

of cuz you can run 4 sticks. just drop ur command rate to 2T. You will suffer some performance drop though.

but who the heck needs 4GB at home? :mrgreen:

16. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

The memory command rate was T2:D
    I never tried T1, so T1 is faster?

And....
    If I remove 2gb do you think I will be able to run them T1 2-3-3-6?

Here are 2 pics of my PC, you'll notice with the Abit AN8 32x SLI x16 MoBo it's a tight squeeze. And I can only use 1 PCI slot... every other slot has disappeared from these 2 elephant sized cards!:shock:

Now with SLI card in slot 1 idles at 50c, when I was just running 1 card it idled @ 28-32c. I have a 120m fan on the PC dor blowing right on them too.

SO FAR.... my Antec NeoHE 500w PSU is holding up. "crossing fingers"

Here are my 3DMARK05 scores
    1 GTX: 6500
    SLI: 12786

I think thats good, because I compaired other PC's to what I have and there was 1 guy who topped me by 500 pt's.
    I'm #2 on the list.

I want to thank you guys again for all your help!:thumb:

2 pic's of my setup:
    http://nclexaudioreview.com/pc1.jpg
    http://nclexaudioreview.com/gtx2.jpg

17. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

AM I MISSING SOMETHING????

THE PEOPLE WHO WROTE THIS REVIEW SHOULD BE SUED!
    THIS IS TOTALLY MISLEADING!!
    I bet they used a one time high FPS mark for this. These ARE NOT average FPS rating, this review is TOTAL BS!!!!!
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717&p=6

Comparing performance from my 2 GTX 512's & my 7800GT OC SE cards in SLI, FPS in BF2 are exactly the same! Average FPS are 40's-50's for both cards!

My MoBo supports a full x16 PCI-e speed for both slots.

Does anyone know why FPS with 1 card is better than 2??

I've been screwing with 7800GT OC SE & 7900GTX 512 cards for weeks now!!
    I CANT GET SLI to run higher FPS.
    I'M I MISSING SOMETHING??

After using the dual core hot fix it did improve my FPS with 1 card but not with 2.

Could I have a bad MoBo?
    I'm sorry for venting but... I spent a lot of cash.:cry:

18. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

Or could it be that I need better PSU?
    I dont get system restarts, but is it possible for the PSU not giving the cards enough juice so they dont perform as good as they should?? without system restarts??

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I really cannot understand what are you venting about, please cool down and explain your exact problem to us.

20. ginokid

ginokid Newbie

Hi Chai,

Sorry if I sounded rude, I appologize.

Make a long story short..
    I initially bought 1 evga 7900GTX 512 card & was getting low FPS in BF2 compared to other people, then I got a reply to use the Microsoft hotfix for dual cores & the AMD dual core cpu software, it seemed to work & boosted my FPS.

Today I got my 2nd 7900GTX 512 & now I'm running them in SLI.
    With both cards in SLI my FPS in BF2 are avg. 40's FPS.
    But with 1 card I get 70's & up FPS.

Don't get me wrong games look even better in SLI but the FPS are way low, they even dip down in the 20's & 30's.

Is this just they way SLI is?? because according to this review I should be getting awesome FPS.
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717&p=6

Both 6 pin vid card connectors & the 4 pin molex power connectors are connected. I'm using new Nvidia 84.21 drivers that support 7900GTX series. I tried switching the cards around, reincerting the SLI bridge, taking 2gb of memory out and nothing helps.

I had the same problem with my 7800GT OC SE cards in SLI. I'm also getting the exact same FPS with the new 7900GTX 512 cards as I did with the lower end 7800GT's.

I dont get systen restarts & when I check my PSU 12voltage its always 12v and I havent seen it drop.

The 7900GTX's top cards temp is 50c & the 2nd cards temp is 37c at idle. Probably because the cards are so close together.

Is there something I'm missing?? Did I forget something somewhere along the line?

I guess I was upset because I spent a lot of cash :shock:

Thank you in advance again,
    Gino