"I've Lost The Will To Speed"

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ZuePhok, Mar 17, 2006.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup! Definitely! Stability over performance. Of course, I will overclock to the max, but stability first!

I don't think I've lost the will to speed, probably never will.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I definitely agree with that. :(

I still have a desire to push my hardware as hard as I can but i will NEVER run a system that hasn't been stress tested properly. No OC is worth it if your stuff ain't reliable.:hand:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I've learned to temper my need for speed. :D

Stability is definitely very important to me, now that I have loads of critical data. LOL!!! :haha:

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i think what the article is asking is that do you buy just for speed alone??

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

For me, it'll be no. Speed is no longer an important aspect or factor for my purchasing. Instead, like adrian pointed out. It's stability. and power consumption and heat output.

7. Chai

Speed > Overclocking > Price > Heat Output (only a big factor if it's a Prescott)

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Price > Overclocking > Speed > Heat for me :p

9. Chai

I think this is more accurate for me too... :haha:

Because my processor is slower and cheaper than yours. :p

10. fyire

fyire Newbie

Get a Mac :) Seriously, if you're talking about stability and so on...

Imagine this scenario. Importing the schema for Compiere CRM into an Oracle Database running on me Powerbook, a process that normally takes around 15 minutes to do. Pretty heavy stuff too, as its not only creating the many tables, but also importing the big sample database, as well as the creation of all the Java Stored Procedures in the DB.

I just left that running in the background, and I was happily playing Neverwinter Nights in the foreground without any lag at all. And this was before I upgraded my ram to 2GB too!

11. Chai

Nah, a Mac doesn't do what I want to do most, overclocking and Windows. :D Windows XP has seriously offer enough stability, it's only when overclocking, stability becomes an issue. :D

12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I MAY consider a Mac since they have figured out a way to install WinXP on the new Intel Macs! :D

However, I will be considering the UMPCs first before getting a new notebook. So upgrading of the RAM (yes more!) will suffice for now for me...

So coming back to Processors..
    it's price > speed > heat > overclocking for me right now.

13. Chai

LOL! That's because you never had the will to speed. So this question doesn't really apply to you. :p

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Eh.. What's the point of buying Macs if you are going to install Windows XP??? :D

You are buying the Macs for the MacOS and apps what. :D

15. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Well at least you have the option of dual-booting to run things that you can't in Mac OS. One of my friends is thinking about doing that.
    (don't blame me if any of the above doesn't make sense, I'm just relying on what he's been telling me :p )

16. Domster

Domster Newbie

Exactly Adrian. As much as I hate to admit it, Macs have a much better OS than Windows so what da feck is da point of installin' XP onto a Mac.

Now if we could do it the other way round.................

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

whenever instabilities occured, the blame is likely on the OS. Im tired of this.

please do your homework. if you get good parts, set the BIOS accordingly, and install the appropriate drivers, your experience should be troublefree. Just like chai, my XP never crashed, unless I OC it. the same goes to every PC i setup and sold in the past. The most important thing is to get a reliable part, particularly the PSU and MEMORY. ppl always tend to overlook incompatibility issues and just grab the cheapest module they can find. Also, branded module doesn't guarantee stable operation as the chipset featured might be incompatible with the BIOS/chipset. Please make sure there ur case is well ventilated and your components receive sufficient cooling.

stop blaming the OS. each of them has their pros and cons. MAC IS NOT A SUPERIOR OS than windows and vice versa. it depends on the requirement of the user. stop comparing and stop blaming the OS.

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Right on!:thumb:

19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

price > speed > overclocking > heat

for me :haha: ... thats why i'm still on a stock heatsink :p