ATI 9800 pro problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Reborn180, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Reborn180

Reborn180 Newbie

Hi, there. I'm having a problem with my older ATI Radeon 9800pro or rather the drivers that are on it.

First off my system specs are..

Processor: Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    RAM: 1.5GB DDR
    Motherboard: ABIT IS7 series
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9800pro of course :p
    Powe Supply: SmartPower 350watt
    Hard Drive (system): Western Digital 80GB
    Hard Drive (Media): Seagate 300GB

I just completely wiped my hard disk and reinstalled windows to then update to service pack two. I then installed the new Catalist drivers from the ATI web site that I thoght would have no probem working on my system.

I then installed Battlefield 2 and played it at a medium detail setting at wich it workd fine without any problems, until about 10-20 minuts into game play (time varries) the screen goes black and my system reboots. I then get the "send error report" option when Windows reboots. I send the error report and it takes me to the windows page were it tells me that the driver from my video card has caused a "stop error"

I also installed Call of Duty 2 and ran it on a medium setting as well where it also crashed a few minuts into gameplay.

Dose anyone know why this occures and how to fix it? I have gone all over on the ATI website and other forums and can't seem to find an answer.

Other Info: I have never OCed my processor or grapics card. I also just put in another GB of Kingson RAM that is newer than the half GB I had in there before which is mushkin or somthing like that. If you need to know anything else about the system just ask.

P.S Please forgive my spelling, I dont have MS Word on here yet :mrgreen:

2. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

Hmm Well you could try installing omega drivers to see if those work any better. (http://www.omegadrivers.net/)
    -Heres a download link for one http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=14&go=giveme&dwn_id=270
    By the way the omega drivers do not need you to uninstall any ati drivers, you can just install them after you download them. I actually perfer the omega drivers over ati's, they have more features and run a little better.

Maybe it is your chipset drivers, which you would need to know your motherboard model and go to their site and search for some updates.

Or maybe your 9800pro has gone bad :/ its kinda hard to tell. Does your video card ever go to the black page with out playing games?
    do you know the temps of your computer?

3. Reborn180

Reborn180 Newbie

Hmm... Well I just tried something that you might find intersesting, I went into the ATI control center and maxed everything out (Anti-Aliasing aniscopic filter ect.) and that made the game crash much snooner. Could this mean too much strain is on the card itself? Or is their another problem?

I'm going to try installing the drivers you reccomended, as for my chipset, I'm farly sure they are up to date.

No my video card dosn't black out anywhere but ingame and only for the higher end games.

Temps? I don't know how to check them but if you can tell me I'll find out.

4. Reborn180

Reborn180 Newbie

I installed the new drivers and encountered the same problem, however I must say I like these new drivers they are much nicer than the ATI Catalist Drivers :mrgreen:

5. Kweli

Kweli Newbie

I had this exact same problem....

Mine was due to overheating......

When your card crashs put your hand on it....if you cant keep it there because of the heat..then you have heating problems...
    - Make sure you have fans blowing air IN (in the front of the case)
    - Make sure you have fans blowing air OUT (in the back of the case)
    - I also had to add a fan blowing directly on the 9800 PRO...
    - Make sure desktop isnt in a closed area, it needs room to breathe

Also, you may not have a power supply strong enough to handle the card...may need to upgrade this aswell

Goodluck. I had same problem but its fine now (case needed better air circulation)

6. Reborn180

Reborn180 Newbie

Well If heating is the issue I will try it with the case opened and a larger fan on it and see if it still happens. Thanks for the info guys, much apriciated.

Also if heating is the issue can anyone tell me of a better cooling system for the card, such as a Zalman or something like that? Thanks again.

7. Hey Reborn180 IMO the best Drivers for ur 9800Pro would be the Omega 4.10 Betas.......ya they're old but work the best period.
    Been using them for years....for my 9600XT and 9800Pro.
    Just upgraded to the 7900GT......with they had drivers of the same calibur as the Omega 4.10 Betas for this card
    Just google them

8. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

Well one way to check your temps is go your start button programs to omega blah blah blah, then click the ATI Tool Tray
    When this opens(I have mine start when windows starts :) ) go to the bottom next to your clock and look for the red box thing, right click this and go to hardware and then overclocking.

What are the Core speed and the memory speed set at? also if you seen above profiles and below the show 3d renderer there are 2 numbers, GPU- And ENV- Those are your temps.

One way we could test to see if your card is over heating or whatever would be clikc the show 3d renderer and let that show, as you see your GPU temp will skyrocket. Now click scan for artifacts. This will show if your card is having problems running.

Come back and tell us what it says :O

Hope your card hasnt had any damage to it, in that case hopefully you have a warrenty, but which i doubt since it is a 9800pro.(its a older card)

One thing i like to do with these drivers is go to the fan tab under overclocking and i make it run a little faster, my settings are at 0-60 it runs at 70% speed, then at 60-65 it goes to 85% then at 65+ it kicks into 100%, i rather hear a faint sound then having my card burn to pieces :p

9. Reborn180

Reborn180 Newbie

OK, So I got home and fired up the computer as normal, played some Call of Duty 2 for about 5 minuets then exited to do what you said. Here is a screen shot of my overclock settings after that... (See Bellowt if it didn't work tell Me I'll repost.)

SO then I hit the "Show 3D Render" and then the "Scan for Artifacts" It got about to 200 (Or so I'm not sure I lost concentration) and then I did the reboot error, the same as in game. Ahh HA!! SO I got out my big old fan, opened up the case and blasted it on it while I tried this process again. It got up to about 380 then started over without detecting any articacts!

So dose this conferm it is a heating issue? Sounds to me if it is, I'm going to try gaming for a bit now and see if I have any more problems, thats all the info for now, just ask if you need more.

Once again thanks to all of you for your help, you are most kind to this young little computer newbie :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
  10. Kweli

Kweli Newbie

Cool, if you can play games for longer then you found the problem....read my first post again...

you want fans in the front of the case blowing air in...hopefully the front of your case allows this

and fans in the back blowing air OUT....make sure its not pushed against a wall so the air can leave

I had to go as far as adding a 3rd fan blowing directly on the card (sort of made a device to tilt the fan on a 45% angle

11. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

Hmm see mine shows the temperatures on my Overclocking part.

like the picture, but yes it seems like yours is overheating.
    What case are you using? because if your video card is overheating your other parts are also most likely overheating too. (You seem to have the stock speeds on you video card, which if i remember are like 380/340-350ish

also try when in the overclocking part go to the fan tab at the top, and make your fan settings to 100% apply, and click back and try the artifact test agian, lets see if that does anything.

Attached Files: