Windows XP Pro SP2 - Lock Volume so kids can't change it.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Cappy54, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Cappy54

Cappy54 Newbie

I have a question for someone that is very knowledgable in Windows XP. Is there a way in which I can lock the volume level on our computer. The kids are constantly turning the volume up to the max, and we need to limit the volume even when we are not at home.

I hope someone might have an answer.

Using Win XP Professional, and have kids set up in regular user Group. I have no knowledge on setting permissions, or if there is some easier way of doing this. Maybe a registry key I can import or something.

Please help...

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

Cappy54

2. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

I don't know of an exact way to lock the volume but you could try turning down the overall system volume so that even when they turn up the sound it will only be as loud as you set it to be. Volume control is in Start>all programs>accessories>entertainment>volume control.

3. Cappy54

Cappy54 Newbie

Thanks, I have already tried that. I need some way to keep them from accessing the volume period.

I have already removed the icon from the System Tray, but they already know how to get to the master volume control.

I think this is going to be a tough question to get a good answer.

Cappy54

4. m0dD3r

m0dD3r Newbie

So it's not a problem with them turning the speakers up to loud but just that they can adjust the volume of the computer itself? If so, right click on the volume control in the start menu and delete it. There are other ways to get to it the you could use but they might not know of any other way so that might work.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Try creating a guest account for them, and remove the volume control link from the accessories.

6. Cappy54

Cappy54 Newbie

I have already deleted that icon. But it is still accessable via Control Panel\Sounds & Audio Devices\Volume (checkbox) in System Tray. Is there a way to get rid of that also?

7. Cappy54

Cappy54 Newbie

Forgot to say they have to have User privilages due to installed software and education programs...sorry about that

Cappy54

8. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

Edited from: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261241&sd=tech

turn the volume to ur accepatable level and hide this icon, unless......they are smart enough to go C:\WINDOWS\system32 for the main target :p

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  9. Cappy54

Cappy54 Newbie

doraemon,

Thank you so very much!! I think this will do the trick! Those pesky kids are not that smart yet!! LOLOL

ahhh....I am assuming Windows XP SP2 MMC operates the same as Windows 2000.

Thanks again,

Cappy54

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hey, I went searching in the MMC and couldn't find that!!! :wall:

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I was going to suggest taking away their speakers :shifty:

12. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

Just shoot the kids ! :thumb:

13. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

Yup, it work just like win2k, kind of cool thing to play around....especially in organisation when u push the setting to all PC:wicked: :wicked:

14. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

:haha: u might want to block other stuff as well :angel:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, hope the kids won't shoot their father now. :rolleyes:

And hope the kids won't find this thread either. :haha:

16. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

may be the kid is one of us:haha: :haha: :haha:

17. Shorter

Shorter Newbie

If they do that, change the file name. Just remember what the file name is. There's no way anyone can tell the filename from the hundreds of others in the same directory (unless they get lucky :) )

18. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

lol! :haha:

19. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

haha funny u guys

if all dun work jus make the whole pc dun work..solve all the problem

20. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

You can also edit the global policies, Start>Run type in gpedit.msc, hit enter and you are gold