Watch out for this unscrupulous electrician

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to warn you of an unscrupulous electrician I recently hired to work on my unit.

His name is Eddy, and his company is Rac SwitchGear (1303736-W). He's a tall Chinese bloke driving a red colour Perodua Kembara with the number plate 5196.

He was contracted to handle the electrical wiring and alarm system, but he undercut my other contractors for the plaster ceiling and painting jobs. We gave him so much trust that we even gave him a proxy card and a key to our unit.

To his credit, he can do electrical work. But he is not only extremely calculative, he's also very dishonest. When it came time to actually install the plaster ceiling, he insisted on 33% more money. To save time and effort, we bargain it down a little and gave it to him.

But just two days later, he just refused to continue working, unless we pay him for his work, including electrical work not done. He also refused to return our proxy card or key. In fact, he told us that he "lost the card and key". But should we pay him the full amount for his work, he may be able to locate the card and key.

In addition, my brother who had his unit renovated by this same guy, informed me that when he had another electrician install a light for an unused point, the electrician discovered that Eddy intentionally cut off the wires to create a dead circuit and hid the cut ends somewhere above the plaster ceiling.

The electrician had to slowly trace the wiring in the plaster ceiling to find the cut wires and join them back together. Apparently, Eddy did this so that no one else other than him will know how to install lights for unused points he installed for my brother.

So, I would highly recommend you watch out for this shady character. He's a real sweet talker but he really cannot be trusted. If you do hire him, you should consider splitting up deposits and payment for small parts of his job. And do NOT ever give him the proxy card, even if he asks for it.

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

is everything ok now? want to beat him up? scratch his car? :think:

3. fyire

fyire Newbie

hmm.. or how about a repeat of that incident where an object falls from a high building? :)

4. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

thanks for the warning , will keep an eye on this guy.

5. lklatmy

lklatmy Newbie

These things are quite rampant nowaday,unless you know the guy or he's recommended by your friend,be extremely careful when dealing with "contractors".Everything should be in writing asfar as possible.

6. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

:roll:

Yeah kick his ass!...............:lol:

JK. errm yeah jk:mad:

7. Adrian Wong

Unfortunately, he was recommended by my brother. :roll:

So we trusted him enough to give him our key and access card. Big mistake. :doh:

To give you an idea of how unscrupulous he was, here's the rest of the story.

The day before he "ran away", he dropped by my condo even though he had nothing to do then. We spoke to him about the painting job but he told me to get the paint ready before telling him what to do.

When he left, we noticed him taking away all his stuff. He told us he was taking them to work at another house first. So, we didn't think too much of it.

The next day, I bought the paint and SMSed him that we have the paint and asked him if he can come over the next day to discuss the painting job. Guess what he replied.

Here's the EXACT reply I received - "No payment no work".

When I asked him what he was talking about (since we already paid him a 30% advance and he hadn't even completed any work), he replied - "**** you".

To cut the long story short, he eventually told me that if I wanted him to continue, I must pay him the full amount, as well as leave the condo while he's working. And that my card and key would continue to be missing, as long as I refuse to pay him the money.

He's probably so cocky because he thinks I need him to properly get the electrical work done. Since it's not completed and the plaster ceiling is already up, he is actually the only person who knows where the wires go.

But I'm definitely not going to give in to such a person. I would rather pay another electrician more money to figure the whole mess out than give him another cent.

Anyway, I just hope no one else has the luck of hiring this guy. He certainly cannot be trusted.

8. Adrian Wong

Nah, no point. But he certainly lost the rest of the deal. And I'm certainly NOT recommending him to anyone else.

In fact, I think I should spread word about him. Which is exactly what I intend to do. Not so much to take revenge, but to warn people of what MIGHT happen to them.

If it happened to my brother and me, it COULD happen to you. But unlike my brother, I will certainly NOT recommend him to anyone. Even if he's good at his work, his lack of ethics, honesty and manners is totally unacceptable.

9. Adrian Wong

Anyway, I'm now looking for another electrician to finish the job. The place's almost complete now. I have only to complete the electrical work and installation of lights.

Anyone here know any trustworthy electrician? :mrgreen:

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Is there any Better Business Bureau in Malayisa (or something similar to that?)

If there is, I would recommend a complaint.

Not so much as getting back at him but instead to make sure that no one else falls prey to him and all that crap that he does to you and your brother. That will at least get the word out to others.

11. Adrian Wong

I don't think they can do much. :mad:

In fact, when I threatened to call the police about the stolen key and card, he told me I had no evidence. At most, he will just tell them he lost them.

I think the most effective way to stop these people would be to get word about them out to as many people as possible. If I can save just one more person from being cheated by him, I think that's a good day's work. :thumb:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, thats why I asked about better business bureau. They're not so much as a coercive body, but they help get the word out. Give the company a bad rep thru publications. Try some consumer organizations too. They do the same thing.

13. Adrian Wong

Not sure if there's actually such a bureau... :think:

So far, I've been trying to post in as many forums as I can.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Did some homework and I found the company to be tagged with the following registration number: 625416-P instead of 1303736-W

15. Adrian Wong

Really? That was the number printed on his name card. :think:

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I remember Malaysia having some Consumer Associations. :think:

17. t-shirt

t-shirt Newbie

I'd recommend trying to contact the real Rac SwitchGear (sounds like he might just be using their name and or somelses card #) AND filing a police report (even if they can't help in your case, He'll know that they are aware of his scam, and they might keep an eye out for him doing something worse.
    Also if he should try to make a claim aginist you for unpaid work, injury, libel, etc. it will show you on record first.

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That is a good point.. :D

19. ulet

ulet Newbie

pay 1st n sue him later !! contact ur lawyer n he know what to do, u got a case for it. if he dunwan to pay, u can ask bailif to seal his house (remember the club n dbkl case).

20. =CDU=Above

=CDU=Above Newbie