system maintenance is tiring

Discussion in 'General Software' started by octaves, Jun 9, 2006.

1. octaves

octaves Newbie

Virus definitions, Windows updates, scandisk, cleanup, defrag, upgrades etc etc.. scheduling these is real work ?
    Do you guys agree with me, maintenance of system is tedious job ?

2. Amen! :mrgreen: But it is a hobby. The end result of having a clean system is what we're after right? :)

3. eg660

eg660 Newbie

If you dont want to do all these...then get a MAC...:)

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

MAC ? ..

not having a pc and you get rids or all this problems :mrgreen:

5. duan

duan Newbie

YES. but tats what make us more geeky than others :p

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Tiring? If there's no such thing as system maintenance, I will lose my job today... :shifty:

7. octaves

octaves Newbie

So everyone agrees it lot of work.. now consider you have cluster of system. Its a real pain in the neck.

8. fyire

fyire Newbie

That's what asset management systems r for.

9. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

That's a real helpful notion. Using this logic:

I hate painting my house.. so live in a car.
    Getting my hair cut each week is a chore... so become a hippie.
    Changing the oil in my car is a pain... so ride a bike.

I hope you are catching my hidden message: sure there are alternatives, but they are always worse.

Enjoy your "maintenance free" Mac. :lol:

10. fyire

fyire Newbie

Oh? In what way?

11. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Long, sometimes frustrating work, but uber fun when you are rewarded with a huge performance boost in the end! :thumb:
    It's really fun to try and make your system faster and faster :dance:

12. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eg660
    If you dont want to do all these...then get a MAC...

That's a real helpful notion. Using this logic:

I hate painting my house.. so live in a car.
    Getting my hair cut each week is a chore... so become a hippie.
    Changing the oil in my car is a pain... so ride a bike.

I hope you are catching my hidden message: sure there are alternatives, but they are always worse.

Enjoy your "maintenance free" Mac.

Although the sarcasm was nearly obvious, it must have gone over your head. So you need me to point out how these alternatives are worse? Living in a car is worse then living in a house, riding a bike is worse then driving a car, and so on.

Actually, I am just suprised you needed me to explain it. :doh:

13. Shorter

Shorter Newbie

Oh sure.. don't Mac users have to pay for minor updates ? :) plus.. you can't do cool stuff like overclocking and tweaking and stuff. It's just not fun, and not cheap either :)

14. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Actually, I can't see the logic behind why you only point out worse alternatives, when there are better alternatives; hate painting your house, go get someone to do it for you.

The way I see it, you're putting what you use as superior, and everything else inferior. You're purposely pointing out worse alternatives in your flow of logic instead of thinking of any better alternatives.

If I were to do the same thing you did, I can say my Mac is superior, any alternatives, like Windows and Unix, is worse, using your same logic.

I'm interested to know why you say alternatives are always worse.. and whether you really think there's no such thing as better alternatives, cos that's how you're portraying it.

By the way, Shorter, minor updates are free on a mac, and major OS upgrades are still cheaper than even OEM copies of Windows XP :)

P/S: I don't intend to start another mac-windows war, but I'm just trying to point out that your logic is flawed in saying alternatives are always worse..

Cheers. :)

15. fyire

fyire Newbie

Actually I'm kinda wondering at your attempts at FUD here, in trying to assert that any attempts at looking at alternatives will always end up worse.

Kinda reminds me of this joker who had once said something like: 'It dont matter if you're doing the wrong thing, as long as you are doing it consistantly'

16. Shorter

Shorter Newbie

According to http://www.applemalaysia.com.my/macosx/

Mac OS X 10.4 is RM549. My OEM copy of XP Home cost RM349.

But that's in Malaysia of course. It may well be more expensive where you are.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  17. fyire

fyire Newbie

18. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

When eg660 said "If you dont want to do all these...then get a MAC..." I made the other comparisons, as if to say getting a Mac is the alternative... and it is worse. I didn't think that would be so hard to make the connection.

No system maintenance on a Mac? You still have updates, and they are free (FYI: just like all Microsoft updates are free) yet you just get stuck with the poor performance of a fragmented hard disk and hardware you cannot tweak.

As far as price goes, Windows XP Home SP-2 Full Version costs $65 USD. Please tell me where you can buy or upgrade the current Mac O/S for less! :nuts:

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Warning: Incoming Apple vs MS war! :arp:

20. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

Why didn't you list the price for OEM Windows XP Home?

Also, OEM doesn't exist for Mac software because guess what... you can't build a Mac. :haha:

I'm not sure if you know this about Windows or not, but the OEM version is identical to the retail version with one minor difference: One comes in a colorful box and the other comes in a brown box with white sleeve.