7800 GS is it really worth it...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by eg660, Jun 9, 2006.

1. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Hi everyone...I currently have a 6800 gt is it really worth it to replace this with a 7800 gs...or should I just save money and buy a whole new rig...

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Save the money. Your processor is not fast enough. :p

3. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Are you serious? I'm running @ 250X10 right now? Is this still not fast enough for that card?

4. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

I would say no, the two cards about the same performance wise.

5. Chai

7800GS is definitely faster, but it's not that much. But if it's 7900GT, then it's quite a different story. Since you are still using AGP, I think it's better to save the money and go for something better in the future.

6. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

I can agree to that.:D 7900GT is a much faster card.

@eg660
    I would also wait and purchase a new rig, but I digress the 6800 GT is a fine card. I think you could just upgrade the other parts of the computer( memory, hard drive, etc) and have a very good gaming rig. :think:

7. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Oh okay thanks for all the input...but I dont think I need to upgrade my memory it i s g.skill ddr 500...I think this is the fastest that my rig can go..:D

8. Chai

Maybe you can consider upgrading the HDD. :D

9. Echolac

Echolac Newbie

upgrading an agp card now is a waste of money anyway...sooner or later you still have to give up and go for pci-e..

10. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Yeah thats true...thanks for all the input guys..

chai-what kind of hdd?

11. Chai

Isn't 120GB a bit small?

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Get two 500GB hdd and do whatever RAID you want. :drool:

13. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Maybe more memory MB's wise? or a harddrive with a larger buffer or faster spinning motor?

@ Chai
    :haha: Just had a flashback, I still have a 212 MB harddrive sitting around here as a paper weight. I never thought I'd fill that drive. :mrgreen:

14. eg660

eg660 Newbie

More mem MB wise? I dont understand are you talking about ram?

Anyway...will it improve the performance of my rig if I buy a new hdd?

One question...what does raid do for the performance of my computer

15. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

yes, total ram. You have 2GB right now, you could put more ram in, if you system can handle it.

As for RAID the wikipedia has a decent page on it here. RAID 0 is commonly used to speed things up.

16. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

2GB RAM is plenty, I don't see why he should add more.

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

RAID 0 does almost nothing in real world applications.

18. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

@Papercut

XP scales well with extra memory, the O/S will find a use for the extra memory (reduce page file usage, increase disk cache size, etc). Assuming I found the right board it will take upto 3GB, but will only run the memory at 166MHz instead of 200MHz.

@PsYkHoTiK

Of all the systems I have setup using RAID 0, I have almost always seen improvements in performance, the only times I didn't was when I set the striped set too small, But with everything else peoples milage can vary.