Question Regarding Virtual Memory Optimization Guide Rev 4.1

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by blplhp, Jul 14, 2006.

1. blplhp

blplhp Newbie

I have a question regarding virtual memory. First let me begin by providing my computer system features: Brand new Dell XPS400 computer with 2.8 GHz Pentium D dual core processor; 2 GB of SD DDR2 RAM; 320 GB hard drive (7200 RPM), of which 270 GB are free; and running Windows XP MCE O/S. I am getting into video editing as a novice/beginner and hope to accomplish light to medium duty video capturing/editing/DVD authoring in the near future. My new computer’s purpose is NOT just strictly for video editing. It will also be using it for photo editing, spreadsheets, internet usage, watching DVD movie titles, etc. Maybe 10% of its use will be video editing. I’ve read your article “Virtual Memory Optimization Guide Rev 4.1" I am interested in making the correct page file type and size for my computing needs. First of all, I will not be adding a second hard drive to my computer, so my PageFile will reside on the same drive (drive C) as my operating system and system/program files. The current default settings on my new computer as provided by the original XP O/S installation by Dell has the Initial size for virtual memory set to 2046 MB (1x) and the Maximum size set to 4092 MB (2x). In Microsoft’s article #308417 – How to set performance options in Windows XP, Microsoft recommends a 1.5x/3x setting (3069 MB/6138 MB). Several internet forums suggest setting the Initial and Maximum Settings to 2x/2x (4092 MB/4092 MB). I posed this entire scenario to my Dell Tech Rep, and he recommended I follow the Microsoft recommended settings of 1.5x/3x. Based on my computer configuration and my user needs, and the fact that I want optimum performance across the board, not just for video editing, and I only want to adjust this setting one time and leave it permanent, which setting do you recommend – the
    2x/2x or the 1.5x/3x? I’m just trying to find out what would be best for me based on my computer’s profile utilizing one hard drive, and how I will be using the computer. Which setting will give me the best overall performance and will also give me the best overall performance for video
    editing when I need it? Also, I'm a little confused. Doesn't Virtual Memory = Physical Memory (RAM) + Page File? If so, is the Initial Setting size and Maximum Setting size the Virtual Memory amount or the Page File amount? In other words, do these two values (Initial and Maximum) include the physical RAM size or not? Thanks for your help.

2. blplhp

blplhp Newbie

Question Regarding Virtual Memory Optimization Guide Rev 4.1 Reply to Thread

I placed this question on the thread line days ago, and have received no replies or answers to my question. I think 58 people have read my question, but no one has answered, not even an ARP staff member or tech person. What does it take to get an answer to questions in this forum? Thanks.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello blplhp,

First of all, welcome to the Tech ARP forums.

As for the lack of response, well, perhaps they feel I should be the one to reply to your question.

Regarding your question, I think you should really have posted it here - http://forums.techarp.com/showthread.php?t=11973

In any case, whatever you asked, we have actually covered in the guide and the forum discussions. If you go through it, you would have found the answer. Perhaps that's another reason why no one responded. :think:

Let's take a look at what you have written...

As I've said in the article, that's nonsense. There are no hard and fast rules on what the best settings are.

I'll repeat this again... only YOU can determine what YOUR best settings are, by finding out your maximum paging file usage and using that to create a permanent paging file which you then optimize.

I'm sure everyone wants optimum performance for their computers. :)

But let me repeat myself again - to obtain the optimal settings for your system, only you can find what those are by testing.

Let me repeat another point in my article and in all those forum posts - NOTHING beats more PHYSICAL memory. I note that you set your system up with 2GB of memory. That's excellent, because the more memory you have, the less effect virtual memory has on your system.

No... I thought that was pretty much explained in the first few pages of the guide... :wall: :wall: :wall:

Okay, let me just clarify that confusion a little...

Physical memory is what you have in your system. It's in those RAM modules you can hold in your hands. It's physical, it's REAL.

Virtual memory is... NOT REAL. It's fake, it's virtual, it's created by the operating system to make up for the LACK of physical memory.

So, while you can increase or change the amount of virtual memory, you CANNOT change the amount of physical memory without adding or removing those RAM modules. Or in your case, the DDR2 SDRAM modules.

Therefore, all these settings are merely to adjust the size of the virtual memory pool which is created from hard drive space. The file which is used to create this "virtual memory" is known as a paging file (or a swapfile in those old days).

So, in a simplistic way, paging file = virtual memory. To conclude, no, those two values (Initial and Maximum) do NOT include the physical memory size.

I hope that helps to clarify your confusion over the whole issue. We would like to help you if we can, but we would appreciate some courtesy in return.

If no one replies, it doesn't mean they don't care. Some topics are just not their forte. For example, I would NOT dare to advise you on matters relating to the voltage-modding of Radeon cards. For that, only our expert Max_87 is totally capable of helping you.

I hope I've answered your questions. Most of it have actually been answered in the guide, as well as this thread - http://forums.techarp.com/showthread.php?t=11973

Do take a look at the forum thread because there are NINE pages of discussions right there. You should be able to find all your answers in there. But if you have any further questions that are not covered by those replies (in that thread or this one), please do post them here - http://forums.techarp.com/showthread.php?t=11973

But please do us a favour and post in shorter paragraphs. It makes for easier reading.

Thanks! :thumb: