Need some help picking some PC parts

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Viper007Bond, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

I asked on my forum already, but I thought I'd come here and ask you all too since you guys are the masters. :D

Basically I want to upgrade my video card at some point. This will require a whole new mobo (for PCI-E) and I'm told no PCI-E mobo will work with my current CPU, so I'll need a new one of those too and possibly even new RAM.

Can you guys check out the above link and leave me some feedback here as to your thoughts on what was said?

(Sorry to make you have to click a link, but it's a lot easier than copy/pasting the discussion.)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You will need to change your power supply (if it is the old truepower without a 24pin ATX power connector.)

If you want Core 2 Duo, I'd recommend at least a E6400 (it being a conroe.) Be warned that not all 775 mobos are conroe ready though.

4. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

oh ya, i missed out the psu part..

but i thought E6300 & 6400 are 2Mb L2 allendale?

5. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Shit, so I'm looking at pretty much a whole new PC here, aren't I? :doh: Well I guess I'm gonna have to postpone this 'cause I can't afford to replace pretty much every piece of my computer but the hard drives and audio card. :wall:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea lol...

My bad on the e6400.. :p

7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah technically they're Allendale but I think we're all too used to calling the entire family "Conroe" as a result of all the pre-release buildup. :lol: