New Memory & Stuttering?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by BWPhoto, Sep 8, 2006.

1. BWPhoto

BWPhoto Newbie

Please help, I’m at my wits end.

Long story short … I recently installed two new RAM modules (Ultra DDR 400, 1 Gig each). Computer recognized the new RAM, but now after a while on the computer whenever I use Media Player, QuickTime or even play a CD it stutters.

I spent a long time with the memory company switching around the new & old. Finally wound up getting two new modules. Same problem. (I can’t duplicate it with the PC for DRs audio test.)

Deleted and reinstalled sound driver. Saw that there was an update to the bios. But without a floppy, darn if I can figure out how to flash the new one. (I’ve tried loading it on the CDROM, but darn if I can figure out where I’m going wrong.)

System:
    E-4100 Gateway
    Intel D865GLC
    Processor #1
    Name: Intel Pentium 4
    Frequency: 2593 Mhz
    Voltage: 3.3V
    Package: J2E1 (Socket 478)
    Processor #2
    Name: Intel Pentium 4
    Frequency: 2593 Mhz
    Voltage: 0.0V
    Package: (Socket 478)
    Memory
    2 new Ultra PC3200 DDR 400MHZ
    came with two 256MB DDR 400MHZ PC3200
    Creative SB Audigy
    I'm running Windows XP service pack2
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    Resolution: 1024 x 768 - 32 bit

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

3. BWPhoto

BWPhoto Newbie

My system is reporting all of the memory ... 2560 (1024 x 2) and (256 x 2).

I just want to be clear. When I first start up the computer, it doesn't always start stuttering 1st thing. Sometimes, I can play a few files before it starts acting up.

As far as flashing my bios ... what a pain without a floppy. I've tried doing it via my CD ROM, but darn it if I can figure out where I'm going wrong. I may just get a floppy. My luck, I'll update the bios and still not fix the stuttering issue.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Well, maybe try removing the two older 256MB modules? :think:

5. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Newbie

Hi
    ok, first off, does the sound stutter if you remove the 2x1024 and go back to your 2x256?
    If it doesn't then you may have an issue with memory speeds on the new ram. Check the BIOS settings and turn off any memory overclocking if you have enabled it.
    Also make sure that the modules are sat in the same "pair" slots if your board has dual-channel capability.
    Second, you may be experiencing IRQ lockups, which can cause a sound stutter in the way you describe. Are you using on-board sound or a seperate sound card?
    Third, there is a way of making a bootable cd-rom using Nero 6. It has capability for creating a bootable cd without using a reference floppy. HOWEVER, it is NOT recommended that you use a bootable cd when flashing the bios! You would be better advised to use a floppy image.

6. BWPhoto

BWPhoto Newbie

I've tried taking out the old memory. It still stutters.

DDR - They are in the correct slots. It worked for a while in a non-paired configuration, but it pissed me off that I was loosing the benifts of the DDR.

Seperate sound card - Creative SB Audigy. Removed and reloaded latest drivers. How do I check for the IRQ lockups?

Bootable CDROM question - It gives me an option to mimic a floppy image in the bootable CDROM. Is that what I should do or just go out and buy a floppy drive?

This is really putting a crimp in my enjoyment of certain videos! ;-\

7. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Newbie

Apologies for the delay, I was online when I caught your reply and have been doing a bit of digging...

I need to look into this a bit deeper but it seems there are a LOT of other people out there that suffer stuttering with their sound when they crank their ram over the 2Gb memory limit. I DON'T think it is a driver issue.
    You mention that you have tried pulling out our OLD ram, have you tried pulling out your NEW ram to see if it still runs without stutter on the original 512Mb? (Sorry but you need to clarify this point, I am assuming that the problem started only after you fitted the new ram.)
    As I say, I need to look a bit deeper into this, if anyone else has any suggestions...

On your other questions, you can check for IRQ problems by clicking your Start Button, then Run, then typing MSINFO32 at the prompt. Open up the Hardware Resources menu on the left by clicking on the little + symbol, then click on Hardware Resources/Sharing.
    What this does is to list every bit of hardware in your machine that is sharing the same IRQ. If 1 or more other devices are sharing the same IRQ as your Audigy card (APART from the PCI IRQ steering which is ok) then you may get IRQ lockups, especially if one of the devices does not support IRQ sharing. These lock-ups will cause sound stutter because the two devices are trying to use the same IRQ at the same time.

To answer your CDRom question, yes you need to mimic a floppy image using the cd-rom, then drag the bios flash utility and the rom image over to the image before burning it. This should burn you a cd-rom that will boot just like a floppy, a bit like the old Windows 98 cd-rom used to do.
    But as I mentioned before, use it with care. If anything goes wrong during the flash you WILL lose the motherboard. I still advise that you go get a floppy and do it the traditional way (just being cautious here.)

8. BWPhoto

BWPhoto Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I think that I have a new clue. I used the MSINFO32. (Great info!) No IRQ problems. However, I saw the DirectX test. My sound card does not like HARDWARE Buffering. I tried each of the different acceleration levels with the same stuttering issue. (It didn't have a problem with the SOFTWARE buffering.) I'll go digging around tomorrow to see what I can find on that one. If I can't find anything, I'll try it again with just the new RAM.