What's wrong with my streamyx? Plz help.

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by guyblueblood, Sep 15, 2006.

1. guyblueblood

guyblueblood Newbie

There is something really wrong with my streamyx connection or either my connection has a multiple personality syndrome, i'm not sure. I have a 1mb connection which means that I'm supposed to get around 100 kbps download. I get that kind of speed when direct downloading antivirus definitions but whenever i download something else, mp3s or movies, my speed drops to only 10 kbps. Same thing happens when I'm downloading torrents (with very good seeders) or when I'm using ares. And strangely enough sometimes it goes the other way around, torrents and p2p fast but direct downloading slow. Is there anything wrong here or you folks have the same problem. Please enlighten me on this subject. Thanks. :beer:

2. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

come, i show u one bullshit from TM

now u know why? They are doing upgrade for us!!!:clap: :clap:

3. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

chill dude, i have ALWAYS had problems with streamyx

trust me, they will never get OUT of maintenance
    so, just sit back n chill, while whining about the crappy connection :beer: :beer:

4. guyblueblood

guyblueblood Newbie

I've just got my streamyx about two months ago and the first week was great, full speed all the time. By second week, it started getting slower and slower and almost the whole day. I guess ur all right, we could only sit back, complaint and wait for the next big thing to come along. I just wanted to finish my download of House MD season 2 before the season ended on AXN:D

SPEEDING UP TO SLOW DOWN :arrow:

5. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

u normally can get 100KB/S...very lucky u know?:cry:

i all the time also not more than 10KB/S....unless it went crazy, can shoot up to 50kb/s and more...and tat is for a while only:nuts:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

my connection has been very consistent since day one. nothing much to complain.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Mine is quite good, except for occasional hiccup.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

occasional hiccup is acceptable in my book.

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But lately, mine has been very bad because of someone leeching... :shifty:

10. guyblueblood

guyblueblood Newbie

One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I'm using Getright as my dload manager and whenever my line is not good, I could get only 10kb direct dload. But I could get to 100kb when I simultaneously dload 10 files. Has anyone ever had the same problem?

BTW, the line was very good yesterday and I could get 100kb the whole day. I've stayed up all night last night and didn't have any problem :dance:

LEARNING THE HARD WAY - Gin Blossoms

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. If you are downloading using Bittorrent, then it may be because you are not uploading fast enough.

Many Bittorrent clients have anti-leech features built-in, where they limit your download if you are not allowing a high enough upload.

If you are downloading using Getright, well, some servers limit your download speeds. That's why you get much faster downloads if you split the file into multiple downloads. But not all servers allow you to do that.

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm using Bittorrent but the highest, it has not gone pass the 70kb/s mark. I'm using the 1MB package... mostly at around 30-50kb/s. 2pid Streamyx... grr... :wall:

But the good thing is, I can normally get 3-4 new movies (700MB per movie) per night. :thumb:

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I've gotten up to just over 100kbps. Not too bad for a 1mbits connection.

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Waaa... why everyone in KL also >100kb/s one??? :wall: :faint:

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

cuz we all have generous hearts
    not like yoU! :mrgreen: :p

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

You want to see how generous I can be? :mrgreen:

17. Adrian Wong

Err.. I never really passed 100kbps. Only touched it once in a while. :D

18. decypher

decypher Newbie

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yeah man.
    it has affected me since last week :(

max i can get is 5kb nowadays :cry:

20. decypher

decypher Newbie

5kbps, huh. I can't download even a freaking bit on eMule, yet I'm getting a full speed in HTTP. Maybe I should switch to Direct Downloads or IRC DCCs.

BUT MY CURRENT DOWNLOADS ARE AT 90%++! (and not moving. wtf)

What? Switch to Bittorrent? I did. Got speeds up to 50kbps, but sources are limited to only local IPs only. No foreign source can seed for us now. Looks like the future of piracy in Malaysia is bleakier than ever. And that sucks. But then again, anime isn't piracy. Downloading unlicensed anime is actually legal.

I can't believe I'm paying RM88 per month for this kinda shit service. Traffic shaping is unethical! I paid for a 1Mbps line and I demand to download at THAT speed for the whole forking month!

We need new ISPs. Stop the monopolisation. TM has the right to treat customers like that because they are the only broadband provider around (for most Malaysians, that is. the competitors do not provide for a range as wide as Slowmyx).

TM still needs an anal probe bad. Really bad.