Pictures of my dinner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Trinity, Sep 29, 2003.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

20 to 25mins..

the edge will be very soft if it's cooked...

2. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

just dump the whole potato to boil? or do i need to cut it into smaller pieces so that it can boil faster? :whistle:

3. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Just peel off the skin & dump the whole thing in. That's what we usually do.

4. strawroot

uh...maybe i should try one day... when i have the potato and the gravy

5. cypris

cypris Newbie

Um usually I do the poking method, insert a small knife through the potatoes, if it clings when you pull the knife up then it still needs cooking. But if the knife slides out nicely then it's done. But I think roughly 20minutes should do it.

try to use potatoes of the same sizes, it's easier to judge the time for all potatoes to cook that way.

Mashed potatoes don't really need gravy to taste nice. It can be nice enough to be eaten on it's own. If you want more flavour, you can always add some very finely chopped garlic to the mix.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

An easy way to tell if the potatoes are cooked is to poke it with a tooth pick.

A cooked potato should be "soft" all the way through. :D And russet potatoes are the best for mashed potatos. :D

The way I do it is to boil em, then while hot put em in a mixing bowl, add some butter, milk (yes strawroot go get some :p ), and crushed black pepper and mix it with a mixer until there's no chunks. :thumb:

7. strawroot

wouldn't it be tasteless without adding anything? hehe i must try it someday then. sounds fun

8. strawroot

eheheh oh yeah, i need to stock that for emergency :cool:

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Bacon Pizza

I wanted something different on my pizza, So I decided to try some bacon on it... With mushrooms also.:)

Turned out:drool: :drool: :drool:

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. strawroot

lookso so niceeeee :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
    i will give the mushroom a pass tho

11. angel1011

angel1011 Baby-DeeNoo

o_O I never heard of these before. Can we just make them? You know, the type of gravy comes with KFC mashed potatoes :drool:

12. Trinity

The secret to kfc gravy is white pepper. And a lot of salt.;)

:drool: :drool: :drool:

13. angel1011

angel1011 Baby-DeeNoo

but how come they're brownish in colour? :drool: :drool: what is the main ingredient?

14. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I suppose you can try using normal brown gravy mix from a packet, and add white pepper :think:

1 person likes this.
  15. Trinity

OK...

To make homemade gravy,

Mix up about 1/4 cup of the fat drippings from whatever you are cooking with 2-3 TBS of flour.

Get about 2 cups of cold water in a pan and, then stir in the roux,,, The stuff you mixed up.:)

And then just slowly bring it up to a real slow boil (stirring all the time!) and then lower the heat and cover and simmer a few minutes.:drool:
    Add salt and white pepper to taste.

Remove from the heat, cover or serve right away.:drool:

BTW.

The brown look comes from the burnt up stuff you can get out of the bottom of the pan you baked your bird/roastbeef etc. Want darker gravy put more in. Mix it in with the flour and drippings in the first part of the recipe.;) More on this; http://busycooks.about.com/library/glossary/bldefroux.htm

Most of the stuff you get in cans have carmel coloring in it to make it look dark.;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  16. Trinity

That would work.:)

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Best gravy granules I've ever used are these.

Bisto gravy granules. Just follow their instructions. :) You can get em in Malaysia but I have yet to see em in grocery stores here (looks like u can get em online based on that website lol.)

18. cypris

cypris Newbie

you can also find gravy granules / instant gravy in the same section and places as i have mentioned for powdered /instant mashed potatoes...

19. cypris

cypris Newbie

OMG! one can never go wrong with bacon ! Especially with mushrooms!!

DYKT: There is no such thing as bacon or pizza containing any form of pork here in Malaysia? IT'S SO SAD! Everytime I want to eat bacon with pizza, I have to make it myself. :wall: :wall:

PS: Ready-made pizza doughs here are extremely expensive.

20. cypris

cypris Newbie

The butter, milk, herbs and garlic will flavour the mashed potatoes. Even more than gravy will. Not to mention the salt and pepper as well. Mashed potatoes by itself with butter would already taste great if you ask me.Besides, gravy isn't very healthy or nutritious.