High jinks in student politics?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by djspinnet, Oct 2, 2006.

1. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

From: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/10/2/nation/15589781&sec=nation

2. fyire

fyire Newbie

Hmm.. time for a coup? :)

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah, bring your tanks... I'll watch the news. :)

4. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

No need tanks :) Just social engeering will do fine :D

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Are these college/university kids supposed to be studying/playing ?? Why are they in the politics when they know nothing about it?? :shock:

6. angel1011

angel1011 Baby-DeeNoo

why does the university wants to interfere with student elections? This I don't get lor... what can they get out of it? :think:

7. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, 2 possible reasons for it:
    - Wanting to have a bunch of puppets who will answer to them instead of looking out for the welfare of students
    - Sometimes, it may not be the university, just some joker in the admin department wanting to intefere (very common among those in student services) to make it look as if they're doing work

8. fyire

fyire Newbie

Nothing better to do, so look for trouble lor :) That's what I usually do when I'm really bored :)

9. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Don't want a student riot on their hands.

Well, that was partly how the UUCA came abouts. Anti-establishment students used to win many many seats in the student elections (till last year when Aspirasi made a clean sweep and the anti-establishment groups mourned the death of democracy in front of Suhakam's office), and back then (few decades ago) student politics were quite an influential bunch.

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

BRAVO!! Finally, a logical, impassioned statement from someone with brains!! BRAVO!!!

I salute thee, Dr Azmi Sharom! :thumb:

Our country is degenerating into lawlessness and corruption. This is no time for our education system to churn out more of this shit. :hand:

11. The_YongGrand

I hope students come to the university to have a good time studying and playing sports and activities like the good ol' days.

But now it ISN'T. Universities kids here are meddling with the wrong stuff when they are supposed to be studying. I hope the govt. will take action against these students before they turn this Education system into crap. :shock: :wall:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  12. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Haha. That was never the case. That's what the govt is trying to do, make the students so suppressed that they come in to play and study only.

Back in the 60's student politics were very strong and influential and students didn't just study, they were changing the world. Ok la, changing Malaysia. But the govt eventually got scared that the uni students rioting and boom, came all these stuff.

Just look in any foreign uni. Student politics are very very strong there and these students actually move things, not just sit around like good girls and good boys and listen to what Mr Teacher is saying.

13. The_YongGrand

Oh... what's an Anti-Establishment party and Pro-Establishment party? What's the establishment referred to? :rolleyes:

14. Adrian Wong

Establishment would refer to the university and the government. :D

Basically, the people in charge. :D

15. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, that's the real sad thing here I guess. Those currently in power (or at least the 1st generation of those monkeys) came to power via student politics as a springboard. Hence, fearing that they can lose power the same way, they cripple the student political movement.

Now, is that a surprise then that there are more and more monkeys in politics these days? Considering that tertiary education institutions in a lot of places tends to be the basic training ground for those looking to enter politics.

16. Adrian Wong

Yeah, unfortunately, instead of trying to encourage them to reach for idealistic goals of truth and fairness, they are recruiting their future cronies in those student councils...