overclocking gfx card!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by mista_haqeem, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mista_haqeem

mista_haqeem Newbie

can i overclock gecube 9550xt 256mb ddr2 128 bit AGP...
    i need your guide pliz...

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You can overclock any card. :D

Hmmm. You need some tools (ATi Tool is good - download HERE)

Generally raise it bit by bit (5-10MHz increments) and then check in a game to make sure it doesnt artifact or show any anomalies in game. Good games to check are the graphically demanding ones (Source Engine, FarCry, FEAR, etc.) and then when it starts showing those artifacts, simply clock back till it disappears.

As with all overclocking, stress test the final setting for a few hours (loop 3dmark05/06 graphics tests.)

3. mista_haqeem

mista_haqeem Newbie

i have Ati tool...
    but i don't understand how to use it...

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmm. It's been a while since I used ATi Tool. Well you should have two sliders. One for Core and one for memory. The best way is to google the product code on the ram chip and see what frequency they were designed for.

For example the picture I have attached, the product code for my ram chip was a Samsung K4J55323QG-BC14 which is meant to run at 700MHz (1400 effective) so my limit won't be much more than that speed.

Make sure you increase one at a time (either max out the core or ram first) and once that is at its max stable speed (after load testing) then increase the other.

A better cooler is generally recommended.

Attached Files:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Different from how I overclock :haha:

I increase the speed straight away to my expected clock speed (usually quite high :haha: ), load testing, if stable, increase further, if unstable then back off :mrgreen:

6. mista_haqeem

mista_haqeem Newbie

i'll check what type of chips does my Gecube 9550xt 256mb AGP gfx...
    thanx for the great info...
    i will tell you my progress after i overclock it...

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The core should reach around 400-500MHz without much problems, in most cases it should go higher than 500MHz. The memory however, I doubt you will be able to overclock it much. :mrgreen:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haha. I follow textbook overclocking all the way... :p Safest and surest way I guess. I think it takes less time then to figure out which part can't handle the speeds (ram or GPU.)

9. mista_haqeem

mista_haqeem Newbie

yeah...
    i know that...
    hehe...

10. firstknight

firstknight Newbie

i am a proud owner of xfx7900GT... now can anyone give me tips on how to OC?? i read teh above... but anyone can share their settings with me? and do they upgrade the cooler fan?? and whre do i do the OC?? what wil happen if its unstable?

what is this "starts showing those artifact"??

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Screen corruption. You will see some weird stuff on your screen that is not supposed to be there :p

As for overclocking, get the overclocking software of your choice, coolbits, RivaTuner, PowerStrip..... you name it :p Then increase the clock speed and apply the settings, run some 3D games/benchmarking softwares to test the overclocked settings. If it doesn't crash or artifact, then increase the clock speed and do the same thing again, until you are getting artifacts on your screen or crash. If that happens, back off a bit... let's say, 5/10MHz from the speed that caused your card to artifact/crash. Now, you should perform a stress test to make sure that your card can actually handle the overclocked speeds, try looping 3DMark03/05/06 or any other 3D games for lets say, one or two hours, see if it artifacts/crashes. If that happens, decrease another 5/10MHz again. Repeat until you obtain the most stable overclocked speeds.

Oh, remember test only one at a time! Overclock & test the core or memory first, only then you try the other one.

If you are lazy to test that way, straight away increase the speed to the overclocked speeds that you expect, apply settings and stress test, then increase speed again. If it crashes/artifacts then back off. That's what I always do :mrgreen:

If you are still not satisfied with the speeds, overvolt your card :twisted:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you are using one of the latest Forceware drivers, you might have to use nTune to overclock.

13. firstknight

firstknight Newbie

Oh... it doenst come with the latest forceware?? cos i jus dl the latest forceware?? means i have to dl separately? wat else do u suggest for downloadind?