BIOS, cant change FSB or multy

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Tricky1, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Tricky1

Tricky1 Newbie

NF7S v2.0, 2500 Barton. No matter what I set FSB and Multiplyer to in Soft Menu, Bios stays at 1100, 100mhz, x11. CMOS saves anything I change except FSB and multi . Have replaced CMOS bat, new chip drivers, flashed new BIOS from ABIT, d27.
    Still no change. Board dead? System still worked great for CSS, 1942, Oblivion. Hate to loose it. Has kicked some serious hinny.
    If it is dead, any suggestions on new board/setup?

Also when I push the power button to turn off, the computer doesnt shut down. it restarts every time.

I have unplugged the PSU, pushed the power button, removed the CMOS bat, cleared CMOS with motherboard jumper and let set for 10 minutes, replaced CMOS bat, reset CMOS jumper, went into BIOS and set to optomized, and hit F10 five diferant times. Still no change.

Have ordered new BIOS chip from ABIT.

NF7S v2.0, 2500 Barton, TT Volcano 7+, 2 x 512 Mushkin dual channell 2.5,3,3,11, 9800pro 256, Antec NEO 480, 2 x WD 120.
    I have had it running at 200mhz x11 @ 1.675v for 3 years. was running at 45c full load.
    Was always stable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  2. werty316

werty316 Newbie

If you want a good change everyone would recommend a Core2Duo rig for sure.

3. Tricky1

Tricky1 Newbie

Core2Duo would be nice. Cant afford to change to DDR2, board, Proc, & PCIE all at once right now.
    What about a 939 Proc, eVGA SLIx16, 7900GT? ($410 or less)
    Or maby I can find another NF7S to use until Spring, then go all the way with new setup.

Thanks.

4. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Even though DX10 is around the corner and DX10 games won't be out until late 2007 I would wait and see how DX10 fairs; by then you should have enough money for a full upgrade and midrange DX10 cards should be out by then.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you are planning to run DX10, make sure your system is pretty up to date, and planning to get Vista. Or else, it's pointless to upgrade to DX10 capable now. And only 8800 series supports DX10 for now.

6. Tricky1

Tricky1 Newbie

I agree. If I wait about a year, Quad core? DX10. maybe Ill go cheep for a while. I dont know of any AGP boards left that are good to OC with dual channel that I can get new.
    I guess Ill try to find a used NF7S & hope its good. Wish I could get mine working, but I think its done.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Unless you can afford a good quad core, it's advisable to get a good dual core like E6600. More than sufficient for most usage, and it's overclockable.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

get what you need now and buy it wisely. dun ever wait!

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you are looking for a quad-core processor, Intel will be releasing a cheaper quad-core processor around January or February, 2007. Most likely, it will be based on two Allendale cores, with a total L2 cache of 4MB.

But Chai's right. It's better to just get a good dual-core processor like the Core 2 Duo E6600 and overclock. :D

10. Tricky1

Tricky1 Newbie

Im getting the hint I just need to bust up my bank acct. & buy something. I think Ill get 939 dual core, eVGA board & 7900GT to hold me until next year. Then go for DDR2 rig & DX10.
    Any other ideas on what to buy that will work with my RAM, holler.

Thanks all.

Attached Files:

11. Tricky1

Tricky1 Newbie

Ordered new setup. Went for AM2. Im going to be lost in new bios. A lot of changes from XP to 64. Nub all over again. LOL.

Due to arrive tomorrow.

DFI LP UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
    A64 3500
    Scythe SCNJ-1100P
    G.SKIL F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
    XFX 7900GS EXTREME
    W.D. SE16 2500GB