Christmas 2006 Gaming PC Buying Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Christmas is very close now. Don't settle for yet another t-shirt or more free kisses under the mistletoe. Get yourself a brand-new gaming PC!

If you think it's too expensive, think again. We will show you how to get it all for only $1010! Heck, we will show you how to get an SLI gaming PC for less than $1200.

[​IMG]

Link : Christmas 2006 Gaming PC Buying Guide!

2. Echolac

Echolac Newbie

nice guide!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Great read and a great buying guides for those who are out of the loop that don't know what to get.

4. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

:faint: :faint: :faint:

If I'd waited less than a year before getting my new pc... This would've been it... And it would've TRUMPED my current pc at the same cost!!

:faint: :faint: :faint:

Very nice guide tho'... :thumb: :thumb:

Almost made me change my mind about SLI... :shifty: :lol:

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

if affortable gaming pc, i would rather pick a cheaper CPU and go with a faster GPU. 1k cpu for an affortable gaming. goshh..

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

'Affordable' is a very subjective thing :mrgreen:

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yeah, like if for me, affordable is below RM3K, but for MAXLich, it's below RM5K

:haha:

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

what about the LICHard chai? :mrgreen:

9. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

MAXLich! LICHard chai! ROTFL! :haha: :haha: :haha:

I guess it's considered affordable by U.S. standards...

Here [in Malaysia] affordable is more likely to be in the under RM3K range, like peaz said...

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Damn it... How can you guys drag me into this for absolute no reason??? :faint:

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I want a Core 2 Duo E6300! I want a P5B Deluxe! I want a Geforce 7600GT!

Unfortunately they are way too expensive and will just blow a big hole in my pocket. Looks like I have to wait for the X2 Semprons instead. (I'm a budget person, y'see?) :shock:

12. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Too bad you guys don't get the prices we get in North America as things seems to cost more after the exchange rate to Canadian or American dollars..

13. sbrehm72255

sbrehm72255 Newbie

They do seem to be cheaper here in this side of the world, but top parts are still out of reach for the average Joe........:(

14. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

It seems a bit strange that in page three you compare the graphics card to 7800GT while in the performance test use a 7900GT and the actual competitor should be the 7950GT...

It would also be nice to see what changes you'd do if you add and/or subtract $300 to the budget.

/Olle

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I can't afford anything now :|

16. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Something is missing...

Oh, and there's this other little thingie I've noticed...

Lets suppose I take this shopping list and go buy all the stuff there (and nothing else).
    1. Come home and put it together.
    Now I have a pile of electronics covering a good portion of my desk. I wonder how it will stand up against dust, accidentally dropped items, touches here and there without proper ESD protection, etc. :shifty:
    I'd sure like to have a computer case to mount it into... Never mind, I just plug it in and hotwire the power-on jumper on the motherboard.
    Let's see what happens...

2. Pretty soon I get the legendary message:
    "Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue." :wall:
    Right! I can't find any F1 button on the mouse, nor does it help pressing any button on the monitor...

I dig up some old keyboard from the nearby scrapheap and plug it in. Now I can enter the BIOS and configure it. Done!

Time to play some cool games!
    I slide a game disk into the DVD-ROM, the drive starts spinning and then nothing!

3. Seems like my games think I should have some sort of Operating System installed first! :wall:

4. $200 and a couple of hours later I have the computer up and running with a legal and fully patched Windows XP Home installed.
    Now I can (and do) install some game and start playing.
    What a bore! It's just not very fun to play games without any sound...
    I need speakers or headphones!

So, in addition to the current list there needs to be a computer case ($ >35), a keyboard ($ >10), at least a Windows XP Home retail license ($ ~200) and finally some half decent speakers or head phones ($ >30), adding a total of $ >275 to the cost!

Cheers
    Olle

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  17. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I guess when your nephew is in the picture, you'd eventually be dragged in too. :haha:

That's caused u maxed out buying all the LICH parts already

Well,casing, keyboard, OS, speakers... it's all subjective to a person's needs.

I myself would already have a decent set of keyboard, casing and speakers to begin with from my older machine, so upgrading to this new parts is to take my old stuff, junk it out and put in the new ones.

but perhaps.... a new casing may be nice too :D :thumb:

And for the OS... Hmmm well, let's just put it as .... well... the OS category. Hahaha, if you get my drift.

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

BECAUSE IT'S CHRISTMAS!!

ho ho ho! CHILL la bro..chill:beer: :mrgreen: :haha:

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The thing is the E6600 is very overclockable, so you have some headroom and you don't have to change it for quite some time.

I would rather get a mid-range card like the 7600 GT because graphics card prices drop rather fast. Everytime there is a new series, prices drop across the board.

Might as well get a relatively fast CPU now.. and upgrade or tack on another mid-range card later on. My 2 cents la.. :mrgreen:

20. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, unfortunately, things are more expensive over here. I think we are paying like RM 500-700 (USD 135-189) more for this PC, compared to you guys in the US or Canada.