Making the switch to AM2

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Zenphic, May 24, 2006.

?

Switching to AM2?

1. Yes sir! :D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. What? No Way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who? What? Uh... what's AM2 anyway?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fguerro

fguerro Newbie

I'm still very happy with my S939 solution. I think I may migrate to the AM2 or AM2+ socket when quad-AMD cpus are coming off the foundries at 65nm on a regular basis. I'll wait until the price-point of their mid-range native quad solution is $200-$300 US Dollars.

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

amd 65nm seems pretty bad shape..hahaha it's gonna be a long wait i guess

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

C2D prices have been very stable since the launch. I wonder when the prices are going to drop.

4. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I think C2D prices gonna fall when X2's selling increases.

5. MeRaH

MeRaH Newbie

Are you some AMD fanboy? :mrgreen:

And why would it fall? As far as I know, AMD is the one dropping prices (makes sense due to inferior processor.) Intel has nothing compelling them to drop prices further than the market's pace. :mrgreen:

6. fguerro

fguerro Newbie

The current roadmap shows AMD shipping 65nm Quad cores in the first half of 2007 (summer?) I don't know if 6 mons is really an eternity but I can wait :whistle:

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Wah... the AMD nowadays making processors and newer sockets? The AM2, AM2+, and all the other ones? So difficult to follow.

If they maintain a socket and improvise on the processor instead it'll be much better isn't it? :D

8. Chai

Well, it's highly possible that AMD can't keep up with their roadmap.

9. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Yes. I'm a diehard AMD fan & feel proud to be that.How could u tell AMD makes inferior processors ? I think u've forgot that the past three years AMD was dominating the PC market with their Athlon 64 lineup.Intel was trying to keep up the sales of their bad CPUs like Pentium D which heats up a lot & a way pricy than the Athlon 64.Athlon 64 does have an Integrated Memory controller which drastically boosts the overall memory performance.I know with the introduction of C2D,things have gone towards Intel now,but not 4 many days Intel is gonna enjoy this.AMD will come up with such thing soon,that Intel will have to redo their strategy.No one can beat the best Price/Performance ratio than AMD.Don't 4get AMD has shown us first (Using their PR Rating)that, a CPU can't get faster by only pushing their clock speeds & the CPU performance shouldn't only be judged by the clock speed,which Intel used to do repeatedly.Now they r going the AMD way by not using the clock speeds as the CPU model number like Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz.

Why do u think the world's best Graphics chip manufacturers like Nvidia & ATI use to integrate their graphics chips only for the AMD mobos.Why didn't they make integrated Graphics chips for Intel ? Even now, not even a single Intel board does have comparable Integrated Graphics against an AMD board with integrated graphics.Can u tell me one Intel board with Integrated Nvidia graphics ? So, u will use graphics cards by Nvidia or ATI but u'll not use the CPU platform they have recommended to use with their Graphics cards.Well then,stick to Intel as u like it but the best one is AMD.It always was & it'll continue to be so.

It is now reported that the future quad-core Intel processor won’t have its cache shared among the four cores. So, the same problems as we see now in a dual-core processor without a shared cache (an insufficiently high speed of data transfers necessary to maintain cache coherency) may appear in it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  10. Chai

For your information, we are not fanboys, we buy whatever is the best value for money currently.

I've been using AMD since Athlon 1.4GHz, and I bought 1600+, 1700+, 1800+, Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester, 3200+ Venice.

I've prepared to jump ship to Core 2 Duo soon hopefully. Enjoy your AMD products. :mrgreen:

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, like it or not, the C2D is way superior to any AMD processor right now.

If you want to hold out for an AMD processor, well, you will just have to wait until K8L comes out. When, that's anyone's guess... :mrgreen:

12. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Yes I do agree that,but not for many days.It's going to change very soon I bet.K8L is coming middle next year which will support DDR 3 & HyperTransport 3.So, Intel u have a whole year to enjoy the success of ur C2D but when K8L will be out next year,u'll have to find a shelter.

13. Adrian Wong

For AMD's sake, I hope so. But I honestly wouldn't bet on it. :think:

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! Where have you been for the last few months? Didn't your 'sources' tell you which is the better product? :wicked:

FACT: AMD will NEVER put Intel under. Intel simply has way too many resources (AMD is MUCH smaller than Intel.)

Pffft.... Fanboys... As blind as a bat on mid day.

I am not against supporting one or another, or using one or another for that matter. It's your choice. What I am against is the sheer display of ignorance as a pretext of using products.

AMD has been dominating for the last three years? Well yea, they made (note past tense) the better product. And those who have been a while know that its a volatile market. Allow me to reverse your equation. How long as Intel had the lead? Compared to AMD's measly three year? Nuff said.

1 person likes this.
  15. Chai

We can always come back to K8L if it's that good, but you will have to struggle with your slow A64, or were you still using your AXP?... :haha:

16. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Yea I've already admitted that things has gone the Intel way as soon as the advent of C2D but r u comparing Athlon 64 with the C2D ? This is unfair coz u know very well that Athlon64 is way better than the Pentium D ( but inferior than C2D ) coz they have inbuilt dual Channel memory controller.In my opinion (& others too), the Athlon XP was better than the Pentium 4,Duron was better than the Celeron & Athlon Thunderbird was better than Pentium 3.So, what did u understand ?

I know AMD is having a tough time now & the entire range of C2D is far more strong than the current AMD products but things gonna change when K8L will come next year with DDR 3 & HyperTransport 3.I've used Intel products too but amazed by the performance of AMD.If I had to buy a machine now,I would have gone to C2D but I have that patience to see what AMD will have 4 me in the coming year.

Well, it's only my opinion & it's not mandatory that everybody's opinion have 2 be the same,but I'll always stick to AMD coz I've always got better performances from them compared to Intel.If I wouldn't have received that performance from AMD, I wouldn't be an AMD fan for sure.

I don't have ne so-called sources.I follow website's(only reputed ones) & magazine's reviews & ratings.I'm not the kind of person who goes by his emotions,I only do decide what I can understand from these reviews.

Yeah, I'm still using My Athlon XP & no plans to upgrade b4 the K8L.

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Who cares? LMAO :haha: AMD pwnz Intel for 3 years? So what? No one cares (except fanboys) :mrgreen:

NOW Core 2 Duo ownz Athlon 64 :mrgreen: C2Ds are better value for money, better overclockers, nuff said. That is all that matters now and all the reason for me to get C2D if I'm building a new system now. Bye bye AMD :lol:

We are not fanboys, we buy the best/best value for money products.

18. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Then u go 4 ur Intel but with the advent of K8L ur machine will become extinct 4 sure.Enjoy till that,but not after that.I'm gonna prove myself invincible when that K8L comes in the next year.

19. Adrian Wong

Well, be that as it may, the CPU industry has always been up and down. And as much as I respect AMD (I am still using an AMD Athlon XP PC), Intel clearly has a major lead in all market segments, from servers to notebooks.

IMHO, there's really no point in sticking to any one manufacturer. AMD may have been faster or better earlier, but it's Intel right now. In the future, who knows?

As for the K8L, well, AMD claims that it will be the first true quad-core processor. Well, that may very well be true, and the K8L may be really fast. But will AMD be able to deliver it soon enough to matter?

Hopefully, AMD will release the K8L soon... Otherwise, it may be outclassed by Intel's upcoming processors.

20. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Yes u r right.AMD will have to be quick enough to catch up.
    AMD's K8L is a true Quad core as u've said,not two Dual cores stuffed 2gether like Intel QX 6700.

I f neone interested,here is the architecture of K8L:-

http://www.realworldtech.com/includes/images/articles/K8L-preview-1.png