wot mobo with a E6400????

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by colinloves, Nov 22, 2006.

1. colinloves

colinloves Newbie

This is what I'm aiming for

E6400. 2 x 1gig RAM . An Nvida card of some kind (cant afford SLI)

Mainly used for gaming. Will overclock, using stock cooler - might get better, if I like overclocking.

Still don't know what mobo to get. Have a budget of £120 give or take. This is what Ive came up with:

P5b Deluxe (like the AI nap feature)

ASUS PSN32 deluxe wiFi - sounds good

ABIT AB9 Pro (but can you adjust the multiplier like on the non-pro model?)

MSI Platinum P965 (has good reviews, yet also been told it ain't all that)

ABIT AW9D MAX (looks quite sexy, but also been told its a far from the best)

GIGABYTE DS4 (seems better than the ds3 - people say its good)

Or is their any that I've missed? Please give me as much input as possable.

Ive been told that most on these mobos you cant change the multiplier. If so, don't that effect the amount you can overclock? Ain't it best to have the multiplier unlocked? or don't it really matter?

I'm new to all this. Please help

PLUS, ontop of all that. I want a mobo that I can drop a quad-core into without hassle, in about 10 months time (or whenever the price really drops).

Thanks guys :cool:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

abit AW9D MAX is that cheap? I think that's one of the best motherboard. Or you may want to consider the non-MAX if you don't need the extras.

3. colinloves

colinloves Newbie

Opps sorry. wrong make. But you know the board I mean.

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Can you get the Asus P5B-E Plus where you are? I've been looking into that mobo, it's cheaper than the P5B Deluxe and still overclocks pretty well. :mrgreen:

Personally I didn't think that an unlocked multiplier matters that much. Last time I checked, you can't raise the multiplier on Core 2 chips so it can only go downwards, if at all (except on the "Extreme" models, X6800 and what not). And lowering the multi doesn't really present any advantages when overclocking :lol:

5. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Go for the 975X Series.The best board is MSI 975X Platinum PowerUP Edition which has also got an prestigious Tomshardware.com's Editor's Choice Award.Read the best Mobo comparisons for ur C2D here :-

1. " http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/11/four_975x_motherboards_for_core_2_duo/page15.html "

6. Chai

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

definitely asus p5b-deluxe. the gigabite boards are good too. but still, i personally prefer p5b's bios.
    skip that crappy abit ab9-pro. the BIOS is the worst i've ever experienced. v1.5 BIOS load default optimized -> hang, and best of all, it wouldn't want to boot my C2D 6700 :thumb: champion act sia..

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Zuephok, you bought a E6600? Wow! :D

Honestly speaking, the best matching board for a Core 2 Duo processor is still a P5B.

Now I'm wondering whether they have Micro-ATX versions for my case and less bells and whistles for it... :rolleyes:

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

wow . looks cool ..

nice.. comes with WiFi
    lots of features but pretty heavy price tag :p
    i think its still worth it if you really utilise all the features.. rotfl ..

11. Chai

Get the one without Wifi. :D

12. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

read a lot of good OC result with the gigabyte's 965 mobo.

13. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

The best board as per ur needs is the MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition.

14. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Care to explain why? :roll:

15. MeRaH

MeRaH Newbie

OOoooooh! I know why! :mrgreen:

It must be coz his holy grail 'sources' *cough* THG *cough* must've said so! :haha:

1 person likes this.
  16. werty316

werty316 Newbie

:haha: he is such a THG whore huh? :haha:

17. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Why not ? They r the best reviewers on the net so far.

18. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I ask again, care to explain why? :haha:

19. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Coz it offers more for the same money. It can safely run properly at 333 MHz (FSB1333) system speed, & can overclock the Core 2 Duo E6700 from 2.66 GHz to 3.3 GHz easily. Obviously, MSI got a grip on its former issues, so due to its superior price/performance ratio which is unbeatable,atleast I think so.

20. Chai

Any motherboard based on Intel P965 chipset could do that kind of overclock EASILY. I have a crap MSI P965 motherboard, up to 333MHz easily.