Hussein executed with 'fear in his face'

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I wonder if he's even the real Saddam Hussein... :haha:

2. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

always thought that death sentence is not really a sentence. I think people who commit a crime should spend time really serve the sentence.

3. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Well, think about it, if he was serving a prison sentence, he can still instruct his comrades to pull off a coup or run a guerilla war from behind bars.

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Poor Saddam. RIP

:shifty:

5. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i saw that on a taiwan news channel...

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Someone told me that the video of his execution was leaked and is now available on YouTube... :think:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well he didn't looked scared when they showed the video of him just as the noose was being put around his neck. He even refused a shroud over his head... Thats kahunas right there... :o

But they shouldn't have executed him on a holy day such as Eid al adha. A day in Islam doesn't start at dawn, it starts at dusk (a detail CNN failed to address when they reported that Saddam was to be executed before the day -dawn started coz of the holy day.) After all, the Islamic Calander is a Lunar Calander (hence the reason why the start of Eid al fitri is announced at night.)

8. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Odd for them to miss this fact, because they made it super clear that it was an all Iraqi execution. Heck, they even made it a point to make sure no Americans were in the prison at the time of the execution!

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yup it's available on youtube. an amateur video.
    politics...wars..oil field...ah they are all evil. you will never hear the truth. ever.

god bless the world!

10. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Sectarian differences. Saddam is a Sunni, whereas the current gov is Shiite. Eid al adha starts a day earlier for Sunnis than the Shiites, and the no-execution rule during Eid was actually a law put in place by Saddam himself, not a long time permanent Iraqi law.

11. Adrian Wong

Oh? I didn't know that. :think:

Still, they could have waited another day. Even if it's due to sectarian differences, deferring it by another day would help avoid trouble. After all, much strife over there is due to sectarian differences.

12. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Well, for one thing, the Shiite government, and especially their PM Maliki was too much in a rush to execute Saddam, to get him out of the way, the moment his appeal was turned down.

And if they were to follow the no-execution during Eid rule, they have to wait for another 4 more days, because the rule stipulates that no executions can be carried out on Eid and the following 4 days.

I suppose in the rush, they just conveniently forgot that for Saddam, a Sunni, it starts a day earlier and since they (the people in the govt and also the majority of Muslims in Iraq) are Shiite, it probably wouldn't matter. Sunnis are minorities anyways.

The other thing is that some official said that Saddam's execution during Eid is a gift to Muslims.. how is that so, I won't comment.

13. Adrian Wong

Well, I was honestly quite surprised they were so quick at executing him too. I didn't quite expect him to run out of appeals so quickly. :think:

14. pfelelep

pfelelep Newbie

I think we can trust THIS version of the facts:

Baghdad Burning
    Baghdad Burning

15. fyire

fyire Newbie

Personally, I do not think that he was at any point afraid at all. Surprised maybe, but definitely not afraid.

This is a person who relies too much on tales of his invincibility to keep himself in power, to the point that a fatal mistake is often made in such cases, believing in the tales himself.

The way I see it, Saddam's probably believed that he'll pull through the day alive until the very end, then was likely to be surprised when he realized that he will not. Fear might come as well, but well, I don't think he had lived long enough for the surprise to slowly fade away into fear anyways.

pfelelep: Well, Shiite and Sunnis had never gotten along much in the first place anyways, so I don't think that the blog writer's very correct in saying that the only Muslims not offended r the Iranians.

Well, the one thing that I am in agreement with the blog writer is that the entire thing had dragged out too long and has turned into a bloody bitter fracas that's both a joke and no end in sight. In that sense, Saddam had won in a way too.

Now for some cold hard facts.
    - The way things are at the moment, Saddam is definitely too dangerous to be left as he is, hence the pressure on some to have him out of the way
    - In such a situation, an execution will still be far more humane than other similarly permanent solutions, such as to have him declared insane, and to prevent him from hurting himself, have him sedated heavily and constantly with drugs that will cause brain damage with prolonged use.

16. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. That's true. I guess he got so used to being so invincible that he didn't expect them to execute him. Heck, even I didn't believe they would execute him, much less so quickly. :think:

But now that he's dead, perhaps that will eventually break the spirit of those who have been fighting to free him.