Laptop Recomendation

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Mc A, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Did I say the discussion about warranty is off topic? no... and I never said anything about the seniors complain...

IMO, warranty is an important thing to consider in a laptop purchase. Especially when you spend such a huge sum of money on it...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. fyire

fyire Newbie

Did I say that the disscusion about warranty is off topic? Also No. As important as warranty is, it is also important to take note that warranty alone should not overshadow the possibility of a higher than normal defects ratio. This is something that ought to be investigated into further rather than just relying on warranty to take care of it for you.

That is what I am saying.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Oh, I think I understand now. FYI I was referring to the BSOD/OS blah thing. I never said anything about what you mentioned above. Anyway, you are right about that, we shouldn't just rely on warranty.

4. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, the BSOD/OS thingy does have a potential in getting carried away, but do take note of the very core of the BSOD/OS issue in this regard anyways. Of which the question to ask is, if the BSOD is caused by hardware, software, OS, or just an user issue.

If its hardware, then there is also a very valid issue to be added to the list of things to watch out for when purchasing a new machine. No harm in finding out if its hardware or not as well, considering the budget in question here.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I know, and I think you did posted about this in one of your previous posts. Just to clarify myself, I was not refering to this. I don't think I have to point out specifically which post/comment/blah that I was refering to,...

I do agree that this is another thing to watch out for, it would be bad if you spend so much money on a machine, just to find out the issue is caused a specific model/hardware.

:haha: :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  6. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, you can if you want to, but then I will have to retaliate by pointing out specifically some more posts/comments/blahs back to you as well.

In regards to this one, it will be up to MC A himself to decide for himself on which one will be more suitable for him, rather than everybody else doing the 'Get This!! No!! Get That!!'.

What that will be real helpful indeed will be to point out the list of considerations, and for each consideration, the pros and cons of each choice, and tips on what to test out in order to help him decide. After all, its something that can help him not only for this purchase, for also for other purchases, and not to mention, can form the basics of a notebook purchasing guide as well.

Heck, even the bling bling factor can come in useful in a passive way, if one knows how to make use of it, rather than bling bling for the sake of bling bling.

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

retaliate eh? :mrgreen: If you want to retaliate, please PM/IM me, I have lots of free time anyway but don't do it here, it is not helping the OP. *Read* No more replies here, if you want to talk about it, like I said, PM/IM me.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  8. fyire

fyire Newbie

So now.. I guess what that can be done is to look at the list of stuff that can be considered, and summarize the thread into the following:

- price range
    - warranty and expected service level
    - hardware defects ratio (depending on particular series)
    * the price range point ties in very much into this one, as it determines very much the defects level that will be considered as still acceptable.
    - mobility
    * big screen vs smaller screen
    + this effects how easy it is to carry the thing, and the decision will be between mobility and the need for the extra viewing area. If the use of an external monitor at the place of work is viable, then smaller screen for mobility will be possible
    * weight
    * thickness
    - expected usage:
    * CPU
    + Needless to say, the higher the CPU speed the costlier, so there will be the question on if the extra spent for a 10% higher CPU speed can be justified
    * RAM
    + Personally I see it being more worthwhile to put money into more RAM rather than on the CPU
    * Disk
    + The bigger the better, unless of course, the option of using an external disk is a viable solution
    * Video

Anybody who's got anything to be added to the list, or add in more pros/cons, please do, rather than doing:
    - the "I agree!! I agree!!!"
    - the "get this! no get that!"
    - the "no lar! no such problem wan!"
    - hypocritical complaints about out of topic

edit: how do u do indentations or bullet points in vbulletin anyways?

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

for CPU..
    i would say try getting atleast a Core 2 Duo 2Ghz (T7200) and above as it has double the amount of cache compared to the other series.

With your budget it shouldnt be a problem :)

10. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I think he prefers smaller size > screen resolution, that's probably why he was eyeing for the 13.3" screen VAIO, with 1280x800 resolution. He did mention before that screen is not a problem for him.

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Use advanced post reply.

13. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

At the risk of getting out of topic here,
    *start of consultant talk*
    I beg to differ and think that as responsible tech-citizens, we should give our advice where we can. In all my experience with multimedia design, I know that 1280x800 isn't enough, which is why I bought the Dell 20" LCD to get 1600x1200. What I'm doing is to tell him to carefully consider as this really is an important factor for what he's doing. No point just recommending based on his initial criteria... that way, where do we add value? Blah...
    *end of consultant talk*

:D :beer:

anyways. There are other notebooks to consider that has high end workstation performance too, such as HP. It's also one of the brands that powers high end stuff in the IT industry.
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-64295-89315-321838-f1-1839152.html

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

No no... I didn't mean it that way :haha: OMG XD

haha, of course we should give our advice where we can and I never said we shouldn't. Well i think some of us here did recommend him to get bigger screen before... but seems like he still prefers to sacrifice size for mobility. I can understand this though, since he is going to travel around a lot with his notebook.

Mc A, we still highly recommend you to get a screen with bigger resolution :mrgreen: but it's still entirely up to you, since you are the one spending $$ XD

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.