Vizo Luxon 3.5" USB & SATA External HDD Enclosure Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

There are so many external hard drive enclosures in the market, but what sets the Vizo Luxon apart from the others is the fact that it supports direct SATA connectivity in addition to the usual USB cable.

Join Marc as he takes a look at the Vizo Luxon and see how it compares against the Seagate Pushbutton Backup 750GB.

[​IMG]

Link : Vizo Luxon 3.5" USB & SATA External HDD Enclosure Review

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. sniper msia

sniper msia Newbie

I want to ask. How much does this Luxon cost now?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Argghh.. Must check my receipt. But I remember it was around RM 250 (~USD 71.50).

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That expensive?

5. Adrian Wong

I think it was around that price. :think:

6. lklatmy

lklatmy Newbie

I bought it from C-Zone at Low Yat Plaza today for RM180 after reading this review.Yet to try it out but two noob questions;

1.I'm going to use a SATA 3.5" HDD,should i put the jumper in J 3?Is that what's meant by"closed"?

2.I will connect the external HDD to the desktop via sata cable,can I actually run my desk top without an internal hdd if I were to remove the existing internal hdd and install it into the Vizo Luxon ? (this hdd is loaded with OS):mrgreen: :confused:

Thks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

2. sounds possible, maybe you can try it :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Oops.. It must have been cheaper than RM 250 then. IMHO, it's totally worth it if you get the full package. :thumb:

1. Closed means shorting the two J3 pins with the jumper.

2. You can, if your motherboard BIOS allows you to boot from USB.

But running it for long periods of time in the enclosure is not advisable. Heat is major killer of hard drives.

Hope that helps you some! :)

9. lklatmy

lklatmy Newbie

But the external hdd is connected via sata ,is it necessary to boot from USB?:oops:

10. sniper msia

sniper msia Newbie

If your motherboard supports SATA, you can use it directly with no use of the USB part of the motherboard, which is why I like it too. :thumb:

11. Adrian Wong

Ooops! Misread it. Yeah, it will function like a standard SATA drive. :wall: :wall:

But again, there's the heat problem... :think:

12. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

The Luxons are quite common in shops already. Even some overstock it i guess. Should be cheap now.

13. Adrian Wong

The folks at VIZO read our review and very kindly sent me a replacement manual and jumper. :thumb:

14. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

How very kind of them. :D

15. Adrian Wong

Indeed. :thumb:

But I hope they tighten up their packaging process so such mistakes do not happen again. :mrgreen: