MOBO and CPU died, can I replace and re-use HD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by XJBluto, Feb 1, 2007.

1. XJBluto

XJBluto Newbie

My Mobo and CPU got fried. I have an identical CPU and MOBO ordered and on the way. Can I plug n' play the existing hardrive and peripherals , or will I need to start from scratch and reload operating system, drivers, etc.
    Your help is appreciated.
    B:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

if the hardware is identical, there should not be any need to reload the OS.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Just try it :mrgreen: If it crashes or showing BSOD then I think you will have no choice but to do a fresh install of the OS. Sometimes you can't even go into safe mode :roll:

I tried switching from AMD S939 platform to Intel LGA775 platform before, the OS still works fine :dance: but I get BSOD/crashes when I switch back from LGA775 to S939 :haha:

I did S462 to S939 before too and I don't need to reinstall the OS :)

4. XJBluto

XJBluto Newbie

Thanks.

Yea hardware identical. I had the beast setup and humming. I think my MOBO voltage regulator crashed, cuz my cpu voltage spiked to like 2.5v and this, in turn, fried my cpu. I got CPU overvoltage errors at boot and then next thing you know, the beast wouldn't even boot to bios.........
    Thanks!:mrgreen:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

If the hardware is identical then there shouldn't be any problems at all :mrgreen: Even from AMD to Intel is possible :haha:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Even if the hardware is completely not identical, you can always choose the repair option when reinstalling Windows. Everything will be back to normal except the patches and the drivers. But it's still recommended to reinstall a fresh install.

7. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

same here. from 462 to 754.

my OS is the same for the past 5 motherboards. (ABIT NF7-S, EPOX 8RGA+, ABIT NV8, DFI Infinity N4X, ABIT NV8, BIOSTAR 6100-M7)

:D