Win XP Setup problem loading disc 1 hangs up

Discussion in 'General Software' started by XJBluto, Feb 1, 2007.

1. XJBluto

XJBluto Newbie

I have a problem when i tried to load a fresh OEM copy of Win XP Media to a newly built PC -problem loading disc 1, it appears to be loading fine. after twenty minutes or so, it stops and asks to insert SP2 disc. I do that and it won't install sp2. I've tried everything, reformat, retry, nada - it still hangs up. I think maybe I have a bad disc. An:nuts: y thoughts????

Thanks
    B

2. werty316

werty316 Newbie

I don't know why the installation asks for a SP2 CD.

Shouldn't installing Windows XP Media Edition be the same as when you install a regular version of XP like Pro or Home?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That's weird. It shouldn't ask for any disc, AFAIK. You actually have two discs? :think:

Are you overclocking your PC by any chance?

4. XJBluto

XJBluto Newbie

WIN XP

The OEM Windows Media edition I bought had three discs- 2 WIN XP and one SP2. I bought new from Newegg.com
    Put first disc in , loads for like 20 minutes, then hangs up and asks to insert SP2 Disc. I insert and nada.............
    MS website says maybe bad disc??
    I returned to newegg and am waiting for replacement. In the interim, I used another copy of XP Home and got my beast breathing.

Thanks.
    B

5. XJBluto

XJBluto Newbie

Oh, and my AMD 4600, ASUS Mobo bios is set in advanced to "OC Auto".

Should I manually configure the CPU specs in the bios? Not sure? I have "Manual, Standard , and auto in the advanced OC area of Bios.
    B

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh, those settings allow you to overclock the CPU. If you want to play safe, just leave it as Standard.

7. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

I have heard that when it asks for the SP2 CD, insert disk 1 instead. Later you can install SP2 after .net has been installed.

8. XJBluto

XJBluto Newbie

Disc 1 is already in////////////////////////////////?

:( Disc 1 is already in////////////////////////////////?

9. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Ok this is how I read your first post, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You insert disc 1, it installs the files from that disc, then it prompts for disk 2. You insert disc 2, the install continues for a bit, but stops with a error message while copying files from disc two.

10. XJBluto

XJBluto Newbie

Nope

Disc 1 does not complete loading- it hangs up. When you eject disc 1, you get prompt for sp2. You do not get disc 1 loaded, it hangs up/
    B:confused:

11. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

mmm, alright this will copy all the files from the CD's before preceeding with the install. You will need a boot disk that will also allow you to access your cdrom drive. Boot up your computer with the boot disk, then at the dos prompt type the following

Code:
    <cd drive letter>\i386\winnt.exe /2
    where <cd drive letter> is the drive letter for your drive. So it should look something like this if e was the drive letter for the cdrom drive.

Code:
     e:\i386\winnt.exe /2