Vista works best with 4GB RAM

Discussion in 'News' started by ChampionLLY, Feb 21, 2007.

1. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

the xp one is call pre-fetch if i not wrong..
    xp doesnt keep the memory full all the time unlike vista

are u using vista now?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Nope, Windows has always had a disk cache even from the DOS days. Remember SmartCache?

Yes, I am. It's running on our new storage testbed. :mrgreen:

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

no, i dunno abt smartcache,
    u talking abt caching on hdd?

4. Adrian Wong

Oops.. My memory is failing me. It's SmartDrive or SmartDrv.

It's using RAM to cache data on the hard drive.

5. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i not too sure abt that...
    i only know abt the pre-fetch on xp

6. brajko2

brajko2 Newbie

I also think that Windows Vista is a real monster in it's requirements. Last year I've been on one workshp from Microsoft and all of their presented computert has vista beta on them. At late evening, half of computer got blue screen ;) so tech support has spent all night installing windows xp :))

I also dislike Vista.. not to mention hardware requirements. But unforetunately it's the future and nothing we can do. It will begin with games, since manufacturers are soon going to release DX10 games.. and it works only with Vista, and... it all will go from there..

7. Adrian Wong

Well, it's been standard on Windows, since the old DOS days. Vista does the same thing, only more aggressively.

In any case, more RAM is always nice. I felt a really BIG difference going from 512MB to 1GB, and now from 1GB to 2GB, it's equally as noticeable.

Once you try using more RAM, you can never go back to less RAM. :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Well, you can still stick with Windows XP. No real reason to go Vista right now.

IMHO, Vista will take about a year to mature. The driver support for most hardware isn't really ready. They only offer basic functionality at most. Give it 1-2 years and Vista will be a good platform to migrate to.