6600GT Problems

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Zephyr1337, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Zephyr1337

Zephyr1337 Newbie

So basically I've got a 6600GT graphics card, I've had it for a while now, and I've been having the same sort of problems for a while...

The Driver version i got with the graphics card was 77.77 or something along those lines, now the problem i had with this driver was, whenever i played any game, World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3, Ragnarok or Half Life 2, there would be constant momentary freezes, where not even the mouse moved, then it would unfreeze and go back to normal.
    Then it would also have constant crashes every few minutes, where the whole screen froze up but the mouse was still moving, and the sound was still playing. Few seconds after the comp would just reset itself...

I just installed the version 93.71, and now instead of freezing/crashing, it now happens where the graphics on the screen will get pulled out, kind of like a puzzle, with things absolutely everywhere on the screen.

I've tried installing it preciously as it should be, uninstalling and reinstalling, still no luck..

Any help would be much appreciated...

Example of 93.71 Problems: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4605/wtfpy1.jpg

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Are you overclocking the card by any chance?

3. Zephyr1337

Zephyr1337 Newbie

Nope, not overcloaking anything, wouldnt say i know how to. :|

4. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

overheating? cooling fan not working?

5. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

55% chance of overheating..

i have a msi 6600gt also.. the fan stoped working all of a sudden and computer would crash everytime i started a game..

6. mnbina

mnbina Newbie

Hey Zephyr,
    I am having the same problem with my 6600gt. Did you find any solution to the artifact?
    mnbinva

7. Zephyr1337

Zephyr1337 Newbie

No solution yet, still having the problem.

I dont think its the computer overheating, the main problem is the one in the screenshot, where the graphics get pulled out along the screen, soon as i installed 93.71, i get no more crashes or freezes, but that happens about an hour or so into playing WoW, and i have to reset :/

8. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

AGP?
    Well, I could be wrong, but isn't it the sort of problem +50%
    of all AGP-6600GTs are running into over the time ...
    Still within warranty?
    If so, kick it back and get a new one.

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Wow long time no see, welcome back to the forums!:mrgreen:

10. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Thnx. :wave: ^^
    Errrm ... you could stop that huggin' and kissin' already ... :oops: :mrgreen: ;)

Well, back2t.

11. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

try use older driver see how..8X.XX drivers are the best for 6600gt

12. Echolac

Echolac Newbie

My previously owned MSI 6600GT had the exact sort of problems.. the card just went dead by itself.. causing along my mobo too..constant freeze in game and desktop...when i tried on other pc, full of artifacts..:faint:

13. Zephyr1337

Zephyr1337 Newbie

If anyones got any links to 8X.XX drivers by any chance, could you post em up? would really appreciate it :D

14. zicovsky

zicovsky Newbie

ForceWare 85.98 Win2000/XP: clickme

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have a friend who has had 6600GTs. He had the exact same problems (freezing, subpar performance, etc). According to him, his card was overheating. You might want to check the temperatures.

Is the card still under warranty?

16. ianho

ianho Newbie

Yup my 6600GT AGP was also like that. It kept hanging after only bout 30 minutes. After I modded a 120mm blowhole on the side panel blowing straight onto it. It ran just fine after that.................. until I ran it with ice cooling for a suicide run on 3Dmark05. did the 1 run n died on me. :lol: