What is HT Voltage for?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by cfree1961, Mar 12, 2007.

1. cfree1961

cfree1961 Newbie

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo and it has HT voltage setting in the Jumper free config area of the bios what is this for? default is 1.2V and the other setting is 1.25V any adavntage or use to goto the higher setting?
    Thanks!

2. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

I my personal experience, that regulates the voltage of the Hyper Transport link as since you don't have an MCH, that becomes your FSB link. You only need to raise it if in the event you decide to overclock

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

even if u overclock, you do not really need to raise the voltage of the HTT.

always try to keep it at 2000MHz (via HTT multiplier) and you will be fine. the memory pipe no longer resides on the HTT. it's connected to the K8 ondie memory controller through its dedicated bus so there is no point in increasing your HTT since higher HTT doesnt bring higher memory bandwidth to your processor.

4. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Indeed true but when under extreme overclocks the HTT bus itself might be overstressed due to changes in timings (Seriously, I still think the nForce 4 remains the most complicated to optimise) that at times, raising the voltage does help to stabilise the system

5. cfree1961

cfree1961 Newbie

Thank you all for the reply! Looks to be best for me to leave alone!:) Again thanks for your replies and time!

6. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

from my personal o/c-ing experience with abit an8 fata1lty + opty146,
    no matter how much vHT or vNB i pump in, the HTLink doesnt stablize beyond 1380Mhz

7. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Well, it shouldn't be that much of an issue unless you wish to OC the HTT (NB to proc interconnect) together with the memory. Most of us usually just turn down the HTT multiplier...less shit to deal with when OCing lol.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

and why would you want to run it higher than 1000MHz?:?

9. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Which is what I'm wondering since usually people down grade the multi from 5 to any multi which is close to targetted FSB.

HTT Multi x Desired FSB = close to 1000Mhz (pointless to exceed)

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

at 1000MHz (2000MHz effective), u get 8GB/s of bandwidth (full dupley. 4GB each way).

in what world can a desktop user use up to 8gb/s of bandwidth? you can even lower it to 600MHz and still feel nothing. there are a couple of sites that have done these tests before. google it. hardocp is one of them i think..

11. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Actually we have a full thread dedicated to HTT and it's electrical and PLL characteristics over in LYN.

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/199734

Some posts are pure drivel, just stick to ikanayam, mine and chargey's.

12. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

agreed since currently functions tied to the HT hasn't enough bandwidth requirements to fully saturate it for now