Underwater!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by djspinnet, Apr 16, 2007.

1. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

I've been missing for a long long time... well, I was under, and I just resurfaced :D

I didn't take these pics, another diver did, but thought I'd just share anyway :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's me in the pink mask and black wet suit. My friend who's also my instructor is the one in the lycra and the shorts. (Oh, those are batfishes which were swimming close to us)

1 person likes this.
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Wish I could try that.:)

3. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Oh yes you should :) It's very, very rewarding!

1 person likes this.
  4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

nice! :thumb:

5. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Cool. I haven't gone diving in about 8 years :?

6. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Oh, that's a long time... such a pity, in my opinion. Diving is so fun and there's just so much to see and discover!

I got to admit though, it's kinda damaging on my finances. Let's see now... I've made 7 dives altogether so far,

Open Water Diver Certification course: RM800
    Dive Equipment (fins, mask, prescription lenses, snorkel, wet suit, booties) at a very discounted price: RM1200
    Pulau Payar trip (2 dives): RM800
    Pulau Tenggol trip (5 dives): RM650

Total damage in 5 months time: approx. RM3450

Despite that, the dives themselves more than justifies the costs involved. I'm already looking forward to clocking more dives and going for Advanced Open Water Diver soon!

7. Trinity

:roll:

lich... :lol:

jk

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Lich man...

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Man, those fish sure look good... :drool:

:lol:

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

nice :thumb: thats you in the picture right ? :think:

btw, nice watermark :thumb:

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahhh.. Must tell Alan about this. He would be so jealous. Hehe... He's going to Thailand for some diving soon. :beer:

12. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Eh.. no lah, I bled thru my nose to pay for all of that...

Yes, that's me in the black wetsuit and my instructor in the pink shortie. :)

Eh, where's he diving? Should go to Koh Lipe... I was supposed to go Lipe in February but I couldn't raise enough money in time to go :( Lipe's so much nicer!

Hehehee.... yes they were :D They're not too edible though, I think... well, not all of them I suppose. The dive resort operator remarked that last year, some Mandarin ducks (he thinks it's Mandarin ducks cos they're so colourful) swam all the way to Tenggol and he caught one and cooked it! But of course, the duck having swam all the way from China, the meat's gotta be tough!

Here's an account of my dives :) This particular trip was so amazing.. the dives themselves, and on returning, we actually drove into the sunset, and at a rest stop near Kuantan, we encountered thousands upon thousands of migratory starling birds flying in formations! Amazing..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  13. Trinity

Hey, How deep can you dive with gear like that?:think:

I remember swimming in the deep section of a local pool. About 12 feet, and I thought my ears were gonna impload. Does it bother your ears to swim so deep?:think:

14. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

30m max, that's about 99 feet.The Advanced Open Water guys were going as deep as 40m/131 ft. I'm limited to 30m/99 ft by my Open Water license.

The key here is to be able to equalize your ear for every 1m/3 ft you descend, else your ears will burst from the pressure. Easily done by continuously breathing and pinching your nose and blowing into it :)

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did you do any night dives?

16. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Nope, cos I'm not certified for night dives. I did an evening dive though.

17. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

releasing ear pressure ? :mrgreen:
    it has become my bad habit of adding pressure to my ear :shifty:
    i can release the pressure without pinching my nose o_O
    how i wish i can go scuba diving.. but .. :mrgreen: i cant swim :(

18. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

There are some divers who can't swim :p

Officially it's probably not recommended, but your wetsuit and BC (buoyancy compensator - sort of like an advanced life jacket) will keep you afloat with no effort. Then you just need to learn how to kick with fins, and how to adjust your buoyancy underwater.

19. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

You forgot to mention, when floating on the surface, don't kick your fins around :p