problem with video card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by techcyb, Jun 18, 2007.

1. techcyb

techcyb Newbie

Hello, I've been having trouble with this for a while now. Maybe someone here has suggestions, I've tried lotsa places and no joyI bought a AGP nvidia 6800XT to replace my aging radeon 9200SE, but when I installed it, the monitor wouldnt turn on. I uninstalled the drivers, downloaded new drivers from nvidia's website, I even had the card RMA'd, and they sent me a new card. Nothing. I tried also changing the order of the ram sticks in the computer, nothing. After trying lotsa stuff, I began suspecting that's probably the mobo that has the problem. It's an INTEL 865dperl mobo. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?

thnx in advanced

2. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Do you get any beeps coming from your computer when you turn it on?

3. techcyb

techcyb Newbie

No, the computer just boots normally as if it had the old graphics card, there just isnt' any signal reaching the monitor.

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

how about trying it on someone else' monitor? perhaps the actual problem could be your monitor. :D

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

ermm , your monitor goes blank right when you just turn on your computer or when it goes into windows :think:

6. techcyb

techcyb Newbie

Well, I have tried two monitors so far, and none work. The monitor is blank from the moment I turn on the computer. Nothing is on. I can hear the computer beeping into windows and the xp welcome screen sound, but no video on the screen.

7. dukeman

dukeman Newbie

this may sound stupid but did you make sure the card in all the way down in the slot?

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ok, another stupid question, does your mobo come with onboard video? :think:

9. techcyb

techcyb Newbie

Well, to answer both questions, yes, I think I have pressed the card firmly enough. I think that if I press it any harder I will break the mobo. The card even lights up, and its fan spins around, but no signal to the monitor. And to answer the second one, I dont think it has onboard video, since I bought the pc with an old radeon 9200se 128mb card.

10. zy

did you plug in the molex power to the card?

11. techcyb

techcyb Newbie

Yes, I did plug in the molex in the card to the power supply unit. I'm starting to think my mobo is a POS.

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It really sounds like a graphics card problem to me...

13. techcyb

techcyb Newbie

Ok, but what kind of problem?

14. dukeman

dukeman Newbie

in your bios is your board set up to boot from AGP/PCIE first

15. Chai

Try pluggin the same card to another machine and see if the same thing happens.

16. techcyb

techcyb Newbie

Yes, the bios is setup to boot agp first. Hmm, when I had the card RMA'd they told me at XFX that they tried the card, and it worked ok.

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Any chance for you to borrow another AGP card to try?

18. Chai

If that's the case, then it should be your motherboard then. But just to be sure, try another card, or plug that card into another system.

19. zy

try the other dvi port :p

20. techcyb

techcyb Newbie

To answer your questions and suggestions, yes I tried both DVI ports, no joy. Hmm, maybe if I bought another AGP card, and tried that one, but if it doesnt work, then ill have 2 duds and less money than now. What could the problem in the mobo be? It just doesnt support 6series geforce cards?