Disabling services.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by The_YongGrand, Jun 20, 2007.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Is it okay to disable Superfetch, and then re-enable it? I heard about disabling and reenabling it causes problems.

And also, what do you think about Windows Search? I turn it off because it trashes my HDD. :)

I'm not sure whether turning off other services will improve performance, any ideas about that?

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The Robson is the most problematic where in Disk Management, it's detected as another drive which will pose problems for OEM's system recovery where the WINRE partition has to be hide/unhide before and after recovery, assigning drive letter to the WINRE partition is the problem because you have the Robson drive as well. :faint:

From my colleagues' experience, with Robson there's nearly no performance improvement at all. :doh:

Somemore desktop is going to have something like this as well. Can die man... :faint:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. dukeman

dukeman Newbie

does anyone know if there is a list of services that are safe to be stopped in vista?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think Robson is only useful for notebooks that have little memory, like 512MB. With RAM prices dropping, it's now affordable to get 1GB or even 2GB of DDR2 memory. With so much memory, Robson is quite pointless.

6. Adrian Wong

Well, there are a few non-essential services you can disable, like Fax, ReadyBoost (if you don't intend to use it), Wireless Zero Configuration (if you do not use WiFi), Telephony, Terminal Services, etc.

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Thanks. :D

Hmm... I have some problems in Vista's Home networking. It's either quite freaky, flaky or sometimes slower.

I thought of killing that IPvP6 somethingy, because the XP machine in my next room isn't using this at all. Not sure whether I will want to disable that Network Topology thing or not... :)

8. Adrian Wong

Hah.. What a coincidence. For some reason, my network adaptor card is now screwy in Vista. I don't think it's a hardware failure but I still can't get it to work right. It always connects to an unknown network with a random IP. :doh:

Sorry, OOT. Let's get back to topic. :mrgreen:

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

had a chance to play with the Versa E6310 for a week..of course with robson enabled. results = full of it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  10. Grogan

Grogan Newbie

I've disabled and re-enabled Superfetch and I don't think it caused a problem. About all I can think of is, if you disable it and use the system for a while without the service running, the usage pattern data wouldn't be current. I think that's a dumb idea anyways, because software algorithms can't be made smart enough to know what you really want to be pre loaded at any given time. Disk i/o hurts now or later... it might as well cache files from disk when they are accessed.

It's ridiculous. Vista boots up, loads the desktop and there's several seconds of peace before that silly Superfetch starts loading stuff from disk. Open a large application or game that needs the memory and close it, and Vista prefetches all that stuff over again.