939 processor supply

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Cytotoxin, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Cytotoxin

Cytotoxin Newbie

Is AMD still producing these in fits and starts? The last time I looked for a socket 939 upgrade, best I could find was a 3400+. Then a few weeks later I suddenly saw 4600+ and 4800+ being listed various places. I didn't jump on it at the time as my system was down and I didn't know if I'd need a new MOBO or not. Now I am looking to buy a CPU upgrade and the supply of 4800+ has completely dried up. They are being listed on Ebay at rediculous prices. Should I wait a bit and hope that AMD produces another lot or two?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

TBH, I don't think they are producing them any longer. I think they have already switched completely to AM2. :think:

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You should consider yourself lucky if you can still find a S939 based Athlon X2. When I was considering to move to dual core last year, I was already too late :lol:

4. whheezzzz

whheezzzz Newbie

Thats crap you know it, not even a year or so later after the unveling of the ridculous AM2's and you can hardly even find a REAL 939 X2 or plain jane. Im still in the DDR 1 race and i dont really want to buy a whole new mobo,cpu, and memory just because my cpu is a little down in the dumps.Im really thinkng of just goin the intel route and say adios to good ole AMD :faint:

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

no point going am2 if u r on s939 now..a jump to intel would be alot more better

newegg still selling x2 939 isnt it..good if u r based at US or canada

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, no point upgrading to AM2 if you are already on S939. If you really need to upgrade, it's best to move to the Intel C2D. :think:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

AMD's decision to move to AM2 completely is the reason why I'm moving to Intel next. :mrgreen:

8. whheezzzz

whheezzzz Newbie

its really rather ridculous are just marketing mumbo jumbo if you ask me,i switched from 3700 san-diego which good cpu to a 170 Opteron Dualie core and i really dont see that much of a difference even in apps that are deseigned for multi thread in mind

9. ianho

ianho Newbie

U can always look for the OEM chips. I just bought an X2 3800+ for my 2nd rig n it only cost me rm350 which is less than USD100. No box, no heatsink n no warranty from AMD but it does come with 6 months warranty from the dealer.

10. jomuj

jomuj Official BOG Supporter!

Well, I think allot of it is a matter of preference. Your not going to get a huge performance gain with dual and "quad" cores at the moment, though i suppose if you are going to be using that processor for a few years it would be wise to get a "quad-core" since software developers are bound to catch up at some point.

If you can afford to wait, you could see how AMD's upcomming quad-core offerings stack up against intel.

11. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Newbie

AMD has ceased production of socket 939 chips. The Athlon 64 single-cores on 754 and 939 are pretty spotty and you can occasionally see Athlon 64 X2s on 939. However, the socket 939 Opterons are widely available- Newegg has the full line of 939 Dual Core Opterons (165-170-175-180-185). There are even single-core Opteron 100 Venus chips available, although not the whole line any more.

If I was sitting with a 939 single-core A64, I'd probably spring for a dual-core Opteron, something like the 170 or 175 as they are around $100 and would be a good performance upgrade. If you have an X2 3800+ or similar, I wouldn't consider getting another 939 chip as the Opty 185 is $225 and not all that much faster than the X2 3800+. I'd be looking at getting a new motherboard, either Intel LGA775 for an E6850 or Q6600, or an AM2+ board for a 6000+/6400+ and later a Phenom 9000 quad-core.