Unusual bugs

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Litomaster, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

Hello all, this is a tricky situation, tried many solutions, nothing worked yet, may be some1 here will help, thank you in advance!

Problem is that in Vista environment i cant play games, the crash after couple secs, sometimes goes up to couple mins, but usually bout 20 secs, the crash is screen turns off, game crashes as well i think as sound turns off as well after and after 10 mins or some pc restarts autamatically, windows suggests to contact nvidia for latest drivers etc

on the other hand in xp environtment games work etc, altho i cant surf! pc freezes after like 1 min of suring, doesnt matter on the browser ie firefox opera nothing, all freeze, the rest is fine can play etc.

Ideally i would like a solution to vista since i liked it, and new games come out for vista only(

System is:
    CPU: AMD x64 duo core 5200+
    Motherboard: M2V asus
    Video: Nvidia 8800 GTS (640 some mg)
    RAM: ocz 2 gig

its all the same no matter which version 64 or 86, tried in vista and xp variants

sry if chosen the thread wrong, just imho the prob is bad drivers for video

thx in advance!

(got here after reading this article http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=391&pgno=1 ) not sure if its real or not)))) but anyways i spent time reading it)

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What drivers are you using now?

3. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

163.44i htink

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe you should try the 162.22 WHQL drivers.

5. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

tried all of thnem, nothning works keeps freezing

6. terry99

terry99 Newbie

Make sure you delete the existing drivers and reboot without installing any Vista drivers before installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. I had a similar problem with an 8600GT card last week and it seems the driver from the Microsoft Update website was causing the problem. Boot into Safe Mode to do the deletion of the drivers too.
    Good luck!

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

If you are changing drivers, try use Drivercleaner (not sure the software works in Vista) prior to installing the another one. :mrgreen:

8. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

Just tried with clean install, still nothing, keeps freezing

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, a freshly-installed Windows Vista is buggy and unstable. Patch it up with all the latest updates.

As for your other problems... I would seriously think about viruses. Are you running any anti-virus software?

10. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

installing nod32 with spyware doctor once in a while to check up, usuallyy nothing or just some cookie thingy

PS, i use vista i made with vlite all updates onbaord, no drivers, easier to reinstall

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  11. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

Ran a 3dmark test in xp, all cool, in vista all well except SM2.0 test and most of batch size tests are freezing after some secs

12. Adrian Wong

Windows Vista still has some bugs that affect 3D games and applications. You have to check the list of hotfixes, cause they are not part of the normal updates.

13. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

gone through all possible locations of hotfixes, didnt find anything decent, nothing worked for me

14. Adrian Wong

15. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

Ran an nividia test temp of gpu goes up to 80 celcius

16. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

tried both, doesnt matter still hangs up

17. Adrian Wong

Well, Windows Vista isn't the most stable operating system by any measure. My PC crashes even when it's not running any game! So, I wouldn't be surprised if your games do not run as well as it did in Windows XP.

Unless you want to play DX10-only games, it's still better to stick with Windows XP for gaming. IMHO, things will get better over time, especially after Microsoft releases SP1.

18. Litomaster

Litomaster Newbie

yea i know, but it so pisses me off that i cant use explorer in xp( and vista is so nice looking and very comfy as well

19. Adrian Wong

Well, just wondering... can you check and see if the fan on your graphics card is working alright? :think:

20. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Try the same thing in Windows XP - if it behaves the same, I would suspect the PSU first - is it enough for the 8800 videocard? A 8800GTS might need a lot of power, so you have to have at least 500W and above, if I'm not mistaken.