Observatory - A Life Long Dream

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ishtim, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Most of us have hobbies and things that keep us busy when we have "free" time. Some of us have had these hobbies for a very long time. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted an observatory to look and photograph the night sky and now I have one.... After over a year of planning, many hours at the "drawing board" and a seemingly endless summer without looking through a telescope, I am here... Well, almost.:| My son and I started construction this past February setting and pouring foundation piers. After several months in limbo, I was able to commence construction and actually get something done... Pics attached!

Progress has been slow, but things are taking shape and I am more than anxious to share milestones of progress with TechARP. Soon, I hope to begin astrophoto work again and scratch the itch that I have had for sooooo many years!:thumb:

Pic1: Pier to hold scope mount.
    Pic2: Additional piers to support building.
    Pic3: Framing of "shed"
    Pic4: Shed with walls NOTE, Roof carriage in place.
    Pic5: Roof in place

FYI: The 'black thing' is where the telescope sits.... It is filled with nearly 800kg of concrete for stability....

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      58.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      57.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      94 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

More...

Let me explain, this is a 12'X12' (3m X 3m) shed that is designed so that the roof "rolls" off of it to expose the telexcope/imaging equipment inside. There are many arguments as to why one would use a "shed" instead of a dome, but it is simple for me...... cost. There are many other reasons involved, but mainly I needed something I could design and build by myself. That said, I am very near putting the old laptop, 300D, and tele back to work!:dance:

Pic1: Roof "Open"
    Pic2: Roof "Closed"

Pics to follow...............:D

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      61.2 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  3. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Heh, congrats man :)

My old house used to have an observatory too.... well not really an observatory, but huge wide open space and a huge wide open balcony on the first floor on top of the porch :D my father and i used to put a beach chair there, set up our equipment, then sit and wait, very much a backyard stargazer style :)

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. You are really a hands-on man! :thumb:

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Pretty great place to gaze at stars! I wish I can build one for myself, but no place since I'm living in a cramped terrace house! :haha:

So, what telescope you are using? :D

6. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Wow, That's just awesome! (respect):)

Can't wait to see the future pictures.:wave:

Orion so bright in the morning sky now.:D

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

awesomeness! :D Can't wait for more astrophotography as usual! :D

1 person likes this.
  8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Wow... simply awesome!! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  9. Adrian Wong

BTW, one question... Is it best for the telescope base to be solidly locked into something like the concrete base you have there... or is it better for it to be cushioned from vibrations using large springs? :think:

1 person likes this.
  10. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Awesome!!!

1 person likes this.
  11. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

*Jeremy can't stop imagining how sexy Ishtim would be if he met him in person*

1 person likes this.
  12. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Do you cook? :wicked: j/k:naughty:

13. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Good question...
    The telescope base/plinth needs to be one with the earth for best results. Different climates/soils dictate depth of plinth. The mount itself sets atop of the "mass". Perhaps the biggest consideration is the ability for the system (plinth/mount) to dampen vibration. For my setup the building is separated from the mount/plinth by a few cm, so that one could actually be jumping up and down on the observatory floor while the scope & mount remain virtually motionless. The soil is a really good absorber of shock/movement...:beer:

14. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

This is my favorite time of the year!!!!!!!!!:beer: :beer: :beer:

15. holy cow that's an awesome do it yourself design. How hard is it to move the roof?

That's some nice land you have there with an awesome view.

16. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Long time ...no see G}{!:wave:
    Most of design was mine, floor & roof girders & joists, but it is basically standard 2x4 wall construction with the roof being supported by "V-Groove" casters that roll on inverted angle iron (actually aluminum). I can open it easily using only one hand to push. The plan is to get a garage door opener to remotely do the work. It is the only part that is not automated via the web, well, except the lights inside.:liar:
    I'll put up some more pics this weekend.
    :beer:

17. Adrian Wong

Oh, that's smart. Why didn't I think of that! :doh: :haha:

18. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

A lifelong dream fulfilled! :clap: Congrats, Ishtim! :hug:

19. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Finally, I get off of my @55 for more pics...

My obs is pretty much near fisished with netting to keep wasps and insects out. Now I just need time off of work and clear skies. :pray:

Attached Files:

20. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Sweet :thumb: