HL2 Episode One crash

Discussion in 'Games' started by Gasjatt, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

I installed HL2 Episode One on my machine. Opening the game was no problem, i can see the main menu and the citadel in the background. But when starting a game, it'll show the loading screen and after loading half way, the game will show an error message box (see attachment). I clicked ok the game closes itself.
    Anyway i can resolve this problem? My system spec is shown in my signature. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Looks like a driver issue. :think:

Did you update your driver? :D

3. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Nope. Episode One is not a new game, my machine can run newer games like BioShock with no problems so i assume the driver can support Episode One. Anyway, will try to update and see if it works...

4. Adrian Wong

Well, driver may be an issue if you are using Windows Vista. Are you?

5. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Updated to the latest drivers but still the same. I'm using WinXP SP2.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Did you let it update through steam?

7. ianho

ianho Newbie

Happened to me once. I installed CS1.6. Then set the resolution to run at 2560x1600. Everything opens up fine then wham! It crashes with an error. I had a friend send me the console settings to reset the resolution and everything ran fine after that. I forgot the console settings though. Mebe u can try googling for it.

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Have you updated the game? :mrgreen:

9. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

You're saying i'm running the game at an unsupported resolution? I'm only running it at 1024*768.

10. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Ok, now i can start the game at 1024*768, but everytime i have to reset the vertical sync setting in the game options menu or it'll crash on the loading screen. If vertical sync is enabled, i have to disable it, vice versa. Funny thing is it doesn't matter if its enabled or disabled, just as long as i change the setting before i load a game.

11. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Try the Catalyst 7.7 driver set. The latest 7.10 is known to be utterly rubbish for the 1950Pro. Latest isn't always the best. Leave any settings such as AA and AF as program defined within the Catalyst Control Centre.

Use Steam's command line utility and add the following commands.

1) Reset the settings by adding -autoconfig
    2) Exit game and clear the command line
    3) Define a manual resolution by using the -h and -w commands. For example -h 1200 -w 1920 would be the resolution of my widescreen i want to run the game on.

If that doesn't work, get Steam to verify the game cache files, but in my experience, the above 3 steps works the best.

12. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

I was using 7.7 when faced with the problem, updated to 7.10 and the problem still persists. And i didn't change the AA and AF settings in the control center after installing it.

FYI, the same error happens when i run 3Dmark06, it crashed after the Firefly test, error msg said something about 'IDirect3DDevice9....'

13. empire23

Hmm, the plot thickens.

Well, here's a potential problem solver.

1) Uninstall Catalyst drivers and Restart
    2) Use Driver Cleaner to clean out everything then restart again
    3) Reinstall drivers.

Last if not least, try the internal tests within DXDIAG and see if any error occurs.

1) Run DXDIAG
    2) Run the rendering tests under the graphics panel

If there is a problem, which hasn't been fixed by the driver remedy above, maybe you should format your machine and give the drivers a fresh OS to work on.

14. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

I attached an image of the 3DMark06 error msg, the error only happens when i run the Filtering and AA test.
    BTW, i ran the DXDIAG test on both DirectDraw and Direct3D and passed all the test.

Attached Files:

15. empire23

Invalid calls usually point to

1) Faulty Driver
    2) Faulty Direct X

Try updating your direct X and see and if not, try the driver remedy.

16. smallkid

smallkid Newbie

can intergraded chips be updated?

17. Adrian Wong

You mean the driver? Yes, of course. :D

18. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Try this: use a driver cleaner, and even the directx remover, and fully wipe out all of these. Then get a latest version of the directx and the graphics drivers. :mrgreen:

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Try installing DX9 again.