StreamyNUT blocks SMTP Port 25 for non-streamyx servers

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by peaz, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Ydobon

Ydobon Newbie

The STMP block doesn't come as a surprise, really.

After all, they've blocked traceroute, shaped/blocked incoming traffic on non-standard ports and god knows what other policies they've set up in the Great Malaysian Firewall.

TMnut users even have to rely on reports from other ISPs to find out whether the international links are down!

Good grief!

2. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

damn annoying, i spent the whole night trying n trying n trying to send out mail, until i saw this post then only worked. :doh: :doh: :doh:

3. rusty

rusty Newbie

question: is there a way to set which ports to use?
    I'm using outlook express.

thanks

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, unless you can change the port on your mail server, you will have to use their proxy server. :wall:

Or use webmail! :D

5. Adrian Wong

Well, you have to change the port used for SMTP on both Outlook and the mail server. If you cannot change the port the mail server listens to for incoming e-mails, then there's no way to circumvent this.

You either have to pass your mails through their open relay proxy server OR use webmail. Many e-mail servers have a webmail component.

6. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

even webmail didnt work. after i failed on outlook, i went to webmail, failed also

7. Adrian Wong

Huh.. Seriously? Which webmail? Webmail should not be affected.

8. rusty

rusty Newbie

I've no trouble using their recommended proxy settings. but like you suggested, it might be misused, so i'm thinking of other alternatives like setting port.

as for webmail, no problems with gmail. have yet to try company webmail. i'll see how it goes.

9. Adrian Wong

Yeah but if anyone spams using the proxy and gets it banned, EVERYONE using the proxy will similarly be blacklisted and their mails will be blocked.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

ownage...gg!

11. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yeah. me too. until i googled and found this out. STUPID.

lucky can set alternate smtp port.

12. Adrian Wong

VICTORY!!!!!!! :beer: :beer:

Got this from the e-mail :

Stupid ISP. Obviously, it didn't work la.... Next time THINK before you implement something like this! :mad:

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

lol.de most stupidest company EVER!
    TM is really giving the ISP industry a bad name!
    the industry is working so hard to connect ppl, and yet you have TM here spoiling the imagine. dumbest of the dumbest. can they get even more stupid than this?

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Sorry for bumping this thread ah.

I never know what was the hoo haa over the SMTP proxy until I host a mail server on my PC, now I can feel their frustration.

Anyway I was wondering, if TMNET block port 25, can't we just switch to port 26 or any other port for SMTP to send out mails?

15. Adrian Wong

If I remember correctly, they will always leave port 587 open for SMTP. That's why we switched to port 587 even though port 25 is still open. You never know when and if they will change their minds again.

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

What if I use other ports for SMTP? Just won't work cause TM won't accept SMTP packets on other ports?

17. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

In my previous company we use Port 250 to contact our smtp server outside of malaysia and it works. So I guess any other port will work as long as u set it to recieve on your server.

18. Adrian Wong

I think you can use any other port for your SMTP server.

19. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

If that's the case, why the hoo haa? Why people need to use tmnet SMTP proxy?